Volunteering at the VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solicitous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know these are stupid questions, but do you get some decent medical exposure volunteering(or would it be considered non-clinical?) there and is it safe?

Members don't see this ad.

It's safe as long as you're not Korean or Vietnamese

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't mean to get anyone banned. : ( I was just concerned because my family used to run a care home that had mostly veterans(with mental illnesses) from the VA and sometimes there would have altercations between two or more of the veterans.

I didn't mean to get anyone banned. : ( I was just concerned because my family used to run a care home that had mostly veterans(with mental illnesses) from the VA and sometimes there would have altercations between two or more of the veterans.
You are not responsible for anyone else's ignorant comments. The key phrase I took out of your comment "mental illness." Any setting that involves mental illness poses a threat. Volunteering at a VA is similar as volunteering at any hospital.:thumbup:

God, I love vets. I once heard a Vietnam vet say, "You can't appreciate taking another man's life until you feel his warm blood run through your fingers." :eek: That dude was hardcore.

Unfortunately the comment about looking Korean or Vietnamese has some truth to it. I've seen some of the more serious PTSD patients get really agitated around people who look like their previous enemies.

Quoting so you can't delete. Hope you get a ban. Have fun:D.

How about you stop letting the past run your life, flip it, see now
your past is behind you. How about you come down off the cross and use the wood to build a bridge and get over it.

Everybody know that people that annoy you list floating around SDN, poliscidoc just added a new person. Way to be a tool!

I am sure it would be safe. In my experience there are fairly well-defined things that volunteers can and cannot do in that type of setting. As long as you are not stupid, or inflammatory you have the potential to learn a lot and can get clinical experience if you do more than sit around and play cards.

Help to bathe the patients or help to feed them or anything else to make them comfortable, help the nurses or nurse assistants to make rounds and ask questions.

Doctors often times make rounds in the VA care centers, make friends with the Dr. and ask what drew him or her to that type of medicine and it might get you a shadowing opportunity right then or in the future.

Volunteering in the VA would be as good a clinical opportunity as any if you made it that way and were able to talk about it in the terms that would explain your how/why you are going into medicine.