Volunteering at vet clinic....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usadsam

In High Skool, Future Vet
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First: This is my first post on the Student Doctor Network, so please don't get upset if I've done something wrong, And I have done a search, but didn't find exactly what I wanted.

Secondly, I'm currently 14, I'm in High School, and I live in Texas. Tomorrow I'm going to start volunteering at a local veterinary clinic.

I was wondering if someone could tell me what to expect, (I passout a lot and i'm currently trying to overcome that, so do I need to watch like surgery videos to prepare or something??) and also should I ask a bunch of questions? When you start volunteering and shadowing, what are you normally doing?

If it makes a difference, the clinic i'm volunteering at is a teaching clinic, the Vet works with Texas A&M.

Thanks so much for your time.

I would appreciate it if I got an answer ASAP as I'm volunteering tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's great that you're starting to volunteer in high school! It's a great way to see what the profession is all about, and if you want to continue with vet med.

I'm not sure how you should deal with passing out... but make sure the people you're working with know you can get light-headed over blood/surgery/etc. Depending on how much they let volunteers do, you might end up shadowing a vet in their day-to-day appointments and maybe surgery, or you could be cleaning kennels. Find small ways to make yourself useful (which might be tough at first if you've never shadowed a vet before).

Save your questions until after each appointment/surgery, since you don't want to interrupt the vet while he/she is working. After you go out of the room, you can ask "Dr. Soandso, I'm curious, why did you .... etc" just always be polite and only ask questions that are relevant. But if you have down time, ask all the questions you want!

There's usually a lot of hovering and observing, but the more you can make yourself useful, the more you'll be allowed to do next time.

Thanks so much, what great ideas!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of passing out...make sure you eat something before you observe any surgeries.

Definitely make sure you have eaten and keep a water bottle in the clinic in case you need to grab a drink to cool off or calm down. If you feel really hot, light headed, or dizzy at all, sit down or leave the room. Remember to breathe! Don't try to hide the fact that you are feeling dizzy. It's always better to sit down or leave rather than pass out. Everyone will understand. Sometimes even people who have seen a lot can feel like they are going to pass out. It's part of the learning experience:)

When I first got involved in clinics, it was a lot of grunt work; cleaning, walking dogs, grabbing things, washing instruments, picking up poo, etc. Somebody has to do it, and it could be you. Just be patient with everything, be willing to help out where you're needed, and eventually you will learn how to do "cooler" things. Sometimes it just takes time!

Don't be afraid to ask questions, it can be a really great way to learn! Just make sure it's at an appropriate time, as already stated. If you are unsure of how to do something or can't remember what you were told, don't be shy about asking for clarification. It's much better to ask a question than to mess up something that could possibly impact an animals health.

Also, once you get a little more comfortable in your clinic, don't be shy about helping out! If you see someone needs a restrainer for a dog and you feel comfortable with that, go ahead and help! Most people will welcome your help and will give you valuable advice on how to improve.

Alright, sorry for the long post, just thought there were a few things that could help :) Good luck and have fun at your clinic tomorrow!

In terms of passing out...make sure you eat something before you observe any surgeries.

And if you're standing up for a long time, don't lock your knees! I used to have a problem with randomly passing out, until I realized it wasn't random -- combination of low blood sugar (so I second the eating something first) and by locking my knees, I was essentially blocking the return blood flow from my legs. It was only after I passed out as a bridesmaid at a wedding, just before vows, that someone mentioned the don't-lock-your-knees thing to me. :oops:

It's still hard for me to remember to do. It helps if I have a clock nearby so I can tell myself to shift my weight from one leg to the other and flex my knees every 10 minutes or so.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=303162

O my goodness you passed out as a bridesmaide?? wow, thanks for the tip, now that I think about it, Wherever i'm expecting medical stuff (hospitals for example) I seem to tense up, I will deffinatly have to remember not to lock my knees. Thanks!

@ prevetdreamer Thanks for all the tips, so helpful!

How did it go? Hope you had a good time and things went well:)

:) Well I go tomorrow, not today, I'm going to go in at 1pm (central time) and work till late, i'm also going to do the same thing on Tuesday.

Sometime Tuesday Morning I will post how it went :D

If you ever want to shadow at necropsy, let me know :) I'm at A&M. I don't know if it would help or hurt your surgery nervousness, but thought I'd throw it out there. Sometimes seeing the body/organs/etc in a non-scary, non-surgical state (ie, the animal is already dead, you can't hurt it, don't worry) can be helpful to some people. Depends on your base level of gross-out though. Is it more of a surgical-suite type of nervousness, or just feeling sick around blood, etc?

If you ever want to shadow at necropsy, let me know :) I'm at A&M. I don't know if it would help or hurt your surgery nervousness, but thought I'd throw it out there. Sometimes seeing the body/organs/etc in a non-scary, non-surgical state (ie, the animal is already dead, you can't hurt it, don't worry) can be helpful to some people. Depends on your base level of gross-out though. Is it more of a surgical-suite type of nervousness, or just feeling sick around blood, etc?

Thanks, if I ever travel down that way (I live in Sweetwater) I'll let you know, sounds interesting :D

I'm not really sure how to define it, everytime I have blood drawn, visit someone in the hospital or have shots I always passout. (your going to laugh at this... :laugh: i passed out once while watching a baby through the glass being cleaned at the hospital right after birth) maybe it will be different with animals, and also the fact that I'm not the one getting poke/operated on ect.

Thanks Again,

usadsam

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. Watching a necropsy had the opposite effect on me. I volunteer at a vet clinic while I'm working on my bachelor's degree. I got to the point where most regular surgeries don't faze me, and then had the opportunity to watch a necropsy. I'm not sure if my body was trying to vomit or pass out, but I just could not hold it together and had to leave.

I've still come a long way from my very first surgeries, though. At the beginning, that a cat neuter and a dental extraction nearly had me on the floor. I have no problems with those now. I don't get many opportunities to see necropsies, so I wonder how long it'll take for me to be ok with those.

Interesting. Watching a necropsy had the opposite effect on me. I volunteer at a vet clinic while I'm working on my bachelor's degree. I got to the point where most regular surgeries don't faze me, and then had the opportunity to watch a necropsy. I'm not sure if my body was trying to vomit or pass out, but I just could not hold it together and had to leave.

I've still come a long way from my very first surgeries, though. At the beginning, that a cat neuter and a dental extraction nearly had me on the floor. I have no problems with those now. I don't get many opportunities to see necropsies, so I wonder how long it'll take for me to be ok with those.

:DThanks for the advice, where i'm volunteering at, Mondays are dental days and Tuesdays are spay/neuter. These are the only days i'm going to volunteer in a week, so hopefully by the end of the summer, I won't have any problems with these surgerys.

I think it really depends on the person. For me, the nervousness at surgery came from the fact that this was a living, breathing, bleeding animal that I could potentially kill if I messed up. All the beeping of the anesthesia machines, freaking out about strict adherence to sterility, everyone gowned up the wazoo...I would start feeling woozy if even tiny things started to happen, like my patients' BP started dropping. One patient of mine in fourth years started bleeding extensively during surgery, and I completely froze in terror, almost passing out, while the surgery resident calmly took the instruments from the hands and took care of it (dog was fine).

That's why I asked if it was the environment of surgery, or just the blood/guts itself. Necropsy helped me relax because it wasn't the end of the world if I accidentally cut the wrong tiny artery, for example. I could relax and learn about anatomy and pathophysiology without having to constantly be on my toes and flitting around like a jaybird.

I think it really depends on the person. For me, the nervousness at surgery came from the fact that this was a living, breathing, bleeding animal that I could potentially kill if I messed up. All the beeping of the anesthesia machines, freaking out about strict adherence to sterility, everyone gowned up the wazoo...I would start feeling woozy if even tiny things started to happen, like my patients' BP started dropping. One patient of mine in fourth years started bleeding extensively during surgery, and I completely froze in terror, almost passing out, while the surgery resident calmly took the instruments from the hands and took care of it (dog was fine).

That's why I asked if it was the environment of surgery, or just the blood/guts itself. Necropsy helped me relax because it wasn't the end of the world if I accidentally cut the wrong tiny artery, for example. I could relax and learn about anatomy and pathophysiology without having to constantly be on my toes and flitting around like a jaybird.

Now that I think about it, all the beeping and all (in hospitals) did always make me freak out, you start hearing all the beeps and machines go off then its like.................. :boom:

:) Thanks again

Hey everybody, thanks so much for all the wonderful advice!

Yesterday was really fun, I walked a dog, counted out meds, drew out meds, help hold, be the gofer, and cleaned up.

One vet had me helping in surgery, (she thought I was joking when I told her I would passout), thankfully the head vet came in, saw me and rescued me :D. (Thankfully I had only got a tiny bit dizzy)

Thank fully I didn't passout the entire day though, But right at the end, when everybody had already left and It was just me, the vet and a couple of workers. They were working on a horse that had gotten its leg torn up on a fence, (had a hole in the leg, scratched back, torn up face, ect.) and I started getting light headed and sat down trying to pull it off... (me not really wanting to sound chicken since they hadn't even started with anything, they just did an IV drip). The vet asked me to hold some gauze, and I really started getting light headed (I'm really not sure why because it wasn't that much blood and I didn't feel faint the first time I had looked at it earlier) anyway, long story short, I haded him the gauze confessing I was light headed, and he had me go out side cause there was a breeze. Couple min. later one of the workers came out and checked on me, of course I don't know spanish, (since I don't know spanish, they all use hand signals alot, and since I still don't understand, they laugh.. although I'm laughing also.) I was able to sit down, and only started getting those little star flicks (if you've passed out before you know what i'm talking about) but thankfully I was able to pull it together. Then the vet wanted to buy me a burger, lol:p of course i'm a picky eater, and I don't like cheese on it, or jalpeno's, but he was like, o its so good for you, were going to go get one. (thankfully mom pulled up at that point)

I'm going to have mom make me a homemade burger so I can take it with me...lol :cool: then maybe I won't have to eat his 'super healthy' burger

Well Thanks again everybody, I'm going to work again today, It was really fun yesterday, getting to help the people and there animals is a really rewarding experience.

It's a really good thing you told the vet that you were feeling lightheaded. =) Don't worry about coming off sounding like a "chicken;" as mentioned earlier in the thread, it happens to the best of us.

It's a really good thing you told the vet that you were feeling lightheaded. =) Don't worry about coming off sounding like a "chicken;" as mentioned earlier in the thread, it happens to the best of us.

We used to have an assistant that full-fledged passed out at the site of a scalpel blade touching the skin. She did it multiple times... then she went to vet school. Now she is an awesome DVM who does surgery all the time.

Moral: Your body will make adjustments, just give it time. :)

Reactions: 1 user
We used to have an assistant that full-fledged passed out at the site of a scalpel blade touching the skin. She did it multiple times... then she went to vet school. Now she is an awesome DVM who does surgery all the time.

Moral: Your body will make adjustments, just give it time. :)

Thanks for the advice :)

Don't be afraid to ask questions, it can be a really great way to learn! Just make sure it's at an appropriate time, as already stated. If you are unsure of how to do something or can't remember what you were told, don't be shy about asking for clarification. It's much better to ask a question than to mess up something that could possibly impact an animals health

I just wanted to second, (or third?) this statement because questions are a fantastic way to learn! They keep you focused-especially on those really long days, and show the doctors that you are involved and excited about what you're doing! Obviously they know you're interested because otherwise you wouldn't be there, but being an active learner is a huge plus for future professionals.

When it was employee evaluation time at a clinic I worked at one of the things that kept coming up was that I was 'never afraid to ask questions'-whether it be about how to do something properly, what to tell a client in a particular situation, or the science behind decisions the doctors made. It's of course important to ask these questions at an appropriate time but, ask questions, ask questions, ask questions!!:laugh:

Sorry about the long post but I think you'll be surprised how much more you'll learn and how impressed the doctors and other staff will be with you for participating! And it's awesome that you're getting started early...it will definitely pay off if you choose vet med!

I just wanted to second, (or third?) this statement because questions are a fantastic way to learn! They keep you focused-especially on those really long days, and show the doctors that you are involved and excited about what you're doing! Obviously they know you're interested because otherwise you wouldn't be there, but being an active learner is a huge plus for future professionals.

When it was employee evaluation time at a clinic I worked at one of the things that kept coming up was that I was 'never afraid to ask questions'-whether it be about how to do something properly, what to tell a client in a particular situation, or the science behind decisions the doctors made. It's of course important to ask these questions at an appropriate time but, ask questions, ask questions, ask questions!!:laugh:

Sorry about the long post but I think you'll be surprised how much more you'll learn and how impressed the doctors and other staff will be with you for participating! And it's awesome that you're getting started early...it will definitely pay off if you choose vet med!

Thanks I think I'm getting pretty good at asking questions :D

Thanks again everybody, I just got back from volunteering today.

Thankfully I didn't passout today, nor did I get light headed. Today was really fun as yesterday, there was a little kitten that came in that had been adbandoned, just after I finished cleaning her up and making her present able, I was able to find her a home:) there seemed to be lots of cats today and a couple of them were kind of mean. I got to help out on the x-rays (developing them and all) It was really fun! And at the end of the day, (since the vet lives on the way to my home) He was so kind, and drove me half way, where my mom met us. I couldn't believe it! :eek:

Thanks again every one for your time and advice.

usadsam

there seemed to be lots of cats today and a couple of them were kind of mean.

I would rather deal with an angry Mastiff than an angry cat. The only scars I've gotten on the job have come from fractious kitties that were purring one second and Velcro'd to my arm the next.

:shifty:

I would rather deal with an angry Mastiff than an angry cat. The only scars I've gotten on the job have come from fractious kitties that were purring one second and Velcro'd to my arm the next.

:shifty:

So true...give me the most aggressive dog ever over a fractious cat...I've been bitten by both dogs and a cat, and the cat bite was the only one where I actually had to go to urgent care and have it lavaged and cleaned and they put me on abx just as a precaution, and it hurt like a you know what!

Last week and this week are the first time I've shadowed a small animal vet. The cats we had were all great - until yesterday. I've never heard a cat hiss and spit this loud before! :laugh: Definitely not the type of animal I want to work with. I prefer the beef cattle that aren't used to people even. :laugh:

Sounds like you have found a great practice to get some experience in. Keep it up! Hopefully the light-headedness will be gone in no time! :)

Thanks everyone, Actually yesterday there was a lab/mastiff in the clinic as well, The vet was drawing blood from the neck, and had me holding his head up, (it was fine until he told me the dog might bite...lol):D but thankfully he didn't

:p

So true...give me the most aggressive dog ever over a fractious cat...I've been bitten by both dogs and a cat, and the cat bite was the only one where I actually had to go to urgent care and have it lavaged and cleaned and they put me on abx just as a precaution, and it hurt like a you know what!

Apparently I'm one of the few people in this world who would take a nasty cat over an aggressive dog any day. For some reason, I can walk up to the angriest cat in the world, toss a towel over it and go; don't even get an adrenaline rush off of it. But put me in the room with a dog that even looks at me funny and I have trouble making myself hold it together.

Apparently I'm one of the few people in this world who would take a nasty cat over an aggressive dog any day. For some reason, I can walk up to the angriest cat in the world, toss a towel over it and go; don't even get an adrenaline rush off of it. But put me in the room with a dog that even looks at me funny and I have trouble making myself hold it together.

I'm still getting used to handling aggressive creatures even though I've been working in a clinic since August. The first few months I was still pretty new and didn't really have much experience before hand, so I was still in training for the most part, so I wasn't the sole person dealing with the animals. Then I spent a couple months up in surgery where everything I was dealing with was drugged, so I didn't have to worry as much. Now I'm back down in the clinic and am definitely better than I was wayyy back when I started. I've noticed I do better when I think I'm the better handler than whoever else is in the room with me or if I'm alone. If someone else is better than me, I get more nervous and kind of freak out. I've also never really been formally taught what to do, since it's kind of been a learn as you go thing the entire time, so that adds to the nerves.

And the one vet I work with would take an angry kitty over a dog any day. You're not alone.

My first day as a vet tech I got bit by a 25 year old cat who hadn't had a rabies vaccine in 7 years. Tore my arse up!! For some reason, ever since then I've never had a problem handling aggressive cats. Maybe because I already experienced the worst that could happen and made it through, but I can grab an aggressive cat without even worrying about it. I've never been bit again.
I think animals can sense your fears so cautious confidence goes a long way when handling any aggressive animal.

My first day as a vet tech I got bit by a 25 year old cat who hadn't had a rabies vaccine in 7 years.

I bet that was quite a mouth. I can just picture the teeth on a 25 year old cat... lovely.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everybody, I deffinatly have to agree, animals can sense if your scared or something.

I'm planning on working Monday, since it's Memorial day, I don't have any school so I think I'm going to work all day at the clinic instead of just half
:soexcited:

Had an owner come in last weekend with a very maladjusted cat-astrophy .... the owner saw a note on the record "BITES" and laughed it off, saying the other doctor doesn't like cats. If anything it would be "love bites." He had to eat his words when the cat tried to "love bite" both the vet and myself.

*knock on wood* Never been bitten working as a tech.

Had an owner come in last weekend with a very maladjusted cat-astrophy .... the owner saw a note on the record "BITES" and laughed it off, saying the other doctor doesn't like cats. If anything it would be "love bites." He had to eat his words when the cat tried to "love bite" both the vet and myself.

*knock on wood* Never been bitten working as a tech.

LOL I would have loved to see the owners face, I bet they were surprised them self. :laugh:

So far the worst bite I have is single punctures from canine teeth (dog and cat actually). The one bite that could have landed me with a completely shredded hand came from a dog with no teeth left, so as it was I just ended up with some really spectacular bruises.

The best piece of advice I ever got for handling anxious/fractious animals is to sing stupid songs while you're doing it. It's amazingly difficult to get tense or nervous when you're singing "I'm a little tea pot" or "Rocky Top". The first vet I ever teched for used to make me do this out loud until I broke the habit of letting go of the angry ones! :laugh: Surprisingly enough, it actually really works.

I'm torn between vicious cat and evil dog. It really depends on the size of the dog. I would take the angry 50+ pound dog before I take on the angry chihuahua. Those little ones are like sharks. I have now been bit 4 times since being a tech (in 7 years). Twice by cats, twice by dogs. To me, they hurt equally bad the only real difference I noticed was that the cat bites tend to swell instantly where the dog bites do not. Also I had to go to urgent care for the most recent cat bite and I now have 4 small scars on my right hand from the puncture wounds the cat left. Another battle wound.

OP, hopefully the lightheadedness improves as time goes on. I used to get a little lightheaded when the vet would be debriding (may have spelled that wrong) wounds but I eventually got used to it and now I don't have to worry about lightheadedness at all. It is good that you are getting all of this experience early and it seems like you have found a good vet to be learning from. Enjoy and just be sure to sit down if you do feel lightheaded. :)

So far the worst bite I have is single punctures from canine teeth (dog and cat actually). The one bite that could have landed me with a completely shredded hand came from a dog with no teeth left, so as it was I just ended up with some really spectacular bruises.

The best piece of advice I ever got for handling anxious/fractious animals is to sing stupid songs while you're doing it. It's amazingly difficult to get tense or nervous when you're singing "I'm a little tea pot" or "Rocky Top". The first vet I ever teched for used to make me do this out loud until I broke the habit of letting go of the angry ones! :laugh: Surprisingly enough, it actually really works.

Haha. We do this all the time, except it's usually about the dog. Like "Shepherd, shepherd, shepherd. Who's a silly shepherd?" Definitely going to go into vet school singing weird songs...

Haha. We do this all the time, except it's usually about the dog. Like "Shepherd, shepherd, shepherd. Who's a silly shepherd?" Definitely going to go into vet school singing weird songs...

This singing technique is way to hilarious!
:rofl:

I bet that was quite a mouth. I can just picture the teeth on a 25 year old cat... lovely.

The month got even worse when the cat died 7 days in :rolleyes:. They let me "collect the sample" necessary for testing though :smuggrin: (anyone who's dealt with a rabies case may know what I'm talking about :ninja:)

Its always sad when a beloved pet contracts some incurable diseases. Mean disease pick on someone your own size :smuggrin:

This thread is Adorable. In a totally non-cynical way.

Adorable-Wallpapers-teddybear64-19829138-1600-1200.jpg

This thread is Adorable. In a totally non-cynical way.

Adorable-Wallpapers-teddybear64-19829138-1600-1200.jpg

Thanks, Everybody has been so kind and helpful with all the advice given. It's really amazing how many people want to help others:D

My current favorite is the "Good kitty, Haaaaapppppppyyyyy kitty, please don't bite me kitty" song.

My current favorite is the "Good kitty, Haaaaapppppppyyyyy kitty, please don't bite me kitty" song.

O boy I was already doing that on Tuesday, The vet I was helping had to get a urine sample, cats aren't to happy about that. :)

O boy I was already doing that on Tuesday, The vet I was helping had to get a urine sample, cats aren't to happy about that. :)

Just be careful if you ever end up singing songs in front of clients. Most owners don't take very well to you singing about how hateful their kitty is, even when you do it in a cutesy sing-song voice.....:ninja: