Medical Volunteering before medical school reapplication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I started volunteering for habitat for humanity construction recently and will continue until I reapply in May/June. I am just wondering if this time frame is significant enough, or if it would look like I am just doing it because I’m reapplying? I don’t want med schools to view it as fake or cookie cutter. I am also volunteering as a tutor currently. Should I keep both activities, or just do one to avoid looking like I’m overloading on new activities?

For context, I am a few years out of college, and my other volunteer experience is from undergrad working as a mentor with underserved public high school students.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Of course it looks like you're doing it because you're reapplying. But it's better to do it late than not at all.

Of the two, Habitat for Humanity is probably more impressive and I would focus your efforts there. But both are good.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s significant if you make it significant. If you care about the work, the impact, and the outcome, it can lend weight to your application. If all you get after these months is a trite cliche storyline, it will make it look more box-checking (although I do agree it’s obvious you’re doing it to bolster your application).

It all depends how you spin it, and AdComs can see right through the experiences that you did you check a box vs something you actually really enjoyed and learned from.

Status
Not open for further replies.