Volunteering/ Clinical Experience/ Shadowing Advice (Please and Thank You)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamweaver1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would love some input from successful applicants, or at the very least current gunners, regarding this portion of my application (for the upcoming cycle). Looking at MD schools, including my state one (KS,) and DO schools as well. I am NOT a 3.97/42S stud and I have no research, FYI.

When I apply this coming cycle I will have ~125 hours volunteering as a CNA in a free clinic for the uninsured. I have also done some natural disaster relief work, with a total of ~125 hours to date; I may have the chance to add ~30 hours to that figure by the time I apply. I have made arrangements to shadow three docs over the upcoming breaks-- EM (DO), peds (MD), and GS (DO). I also have a backup lined up (FM/ MD). The CNA class included 45 hours of clinical learning.

I'm wondering two things. First, is there an area lacking? Do I need to add something (soup kitchen, long-term care facility, etc.)? Obviously, as a compassionate human being, I should simply WANT to do more, but I have plenty on my plate as it is.

Second, I would say volunteering at the clinic is killing two (maybe three) birds with one stone...which seems good, but will that be viewed almost as a shortcut of sorts? I feel like I will end up putting that experience in several categories and that might be viewed negatively, but I really don't know for sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
... First, is there an area lacking? ...

Second, I would say volunteering at the clinic is killing two (maybe three) birds with one stone...which seems good, but will that be viewed almost as a shortcut of sorts? I feel like I will end up putting that experience in several categories and that might be viewed negatively, but I really don't know for sure.

Area lacking would be research, although it is not required. You definitely have time to get yourself into a lab if you want (I did in March of this past year and worked full time over the summer).

As long as you can speak about the importance of your volunteering, how it has shaped you as a person, what you have learned, why it reinforces your desire to be a doctor, etc, volunteering at the clinic will not be viewed as a shortcut. When it comes time to fill out your AMCAS, that experience can only be categorized in one way, which will be clinical volunteer experience.

If you do not have time to do more, then don't. It is better to do a few things passionately then a lot of things that you don't really care about.

When it comes time to fill out your AMCAS, that experience can only be categorized in one way, which will be clinical volunteer experience.
You can make it clear from the name you give the experience and from description of the activity that it covers more than one category. Or you can split out the hours for each type of experience and list two activities without double-counting the hours of involvement.

Area lacking would be research, although it is not required. You definitely have time to get yourself into a lab if you want (I did in March of this past year and worked full time over the summer).

As long as you can speak about the importance of your volunteering, how it has shaped you as a person, what you have learned, why it reinforces your desire to be a doctor, etc, volunteering at the clinic will not be viewed as a shortcut. When it comes time to fill out your AMCAS, that experience can only be categorized in one way, which will be clinical volunteer experience.

If you do not have time to do more, then don't. It is better to do a few things passionately then a lot of things that you don't really care about.

I agree with this. The whole point here is that you begin to learn more about yourself and why you want to become a doctor, and your ECs will definitely help! You have a lot of ECs, including both medical and non-medical volunteering, as well as shadowing. I have found that the most valuable part of my application was my ability to really analyze my experiences and the roles they have played in bringing me to where I am today.

If it just so happens that you are unable to begin formal research, then don't apply to research heavy schools! Instead, apply to schools that have a great emphasis on serving the community. Simple as that. I, myself, did not have formal research or a publication and I have still been blessed with a number of acceptances this cycle. :)