Volunteering/community service coincidence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shredder

User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a coincidence that beloved volunteering and community service during college vanish upon entering med school, never to surface again?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, isn't working in the medical field a community service?

Shredder said:
Is it a coincidence that beloved volunteering and community service during college vanish upon entering med school, never to surface again?

I wouldn't say coincidence. It's completely rational behavior.

Members don't see this ad :)
sunny123 said:
Well, isn't working in the medical field a community service?

not if you get paid 100k+/year.

Well I don't think it totally disappears for all people. But I'm sure there is a huge decrease in volunteerism. And as someone else said, completely rational.

Volunteering definitely takes a huge nosedive. Some people stop because they no longer have much spare time once in med school. Some people stop because they believe they're "giving back" enough as it is by preparing to be a doctor. I stopped because I totally hate volunteering.

I wonder how many med students would find the time for volunteering if it would be as important for matching as it is for getting into med school.

alexPDX said:
I wonder how many med students would find the time for volunteering if it would be as important for matching as it is for getting into med school.
thats what i was insinuating

I'm sure plenty of people would still do it, if they had the time. I think I probably would.

sacrament said:
I stopped because I totally hate volunteering.
I think that is the way most people feel.

Although I think time is an issue. I do have to refute that I know 5 people in med school who are active in their community and try to find time to give back in various ways. I just think its in focused in different areas.

I'll tell you the damned truth. I only do it right now so I can get into medical school later.