Volunteering during COVID?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maybedoc1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm wondering what people are doing for volunteering during this pandemic? Currently I'm unemployed (because of COVID), I'm not taking any classes and I'm pretty much sitting at home doing nothing. The only thing I'm doing is volunteering for a sexual assault hotline (which I've been doing for over a year now). I feel like I should be doing something to help with all of my free time and truthfully I'm worried that admissions committees might look on it very negatively if I don't. I've looked for volunteer opportunities around me without much luck. I live in a fairly rural mountain area and there isn't much from what I've seen. There is a big city about an hour and a half away that I wouldn't mind going to once a week, but there's a statewide stay at home order and I'm not sure if that would be kosher. I sent in my application/background check for the statewide volunteer network thing and didn't hear anything back. I was accepted for a volunteer gig where I call lonely/struggling people who have requested some companionship (on the phone), but I haven't heard anything back about it either. I have my EMT-B and I was considering trying to do something clinical, but with my asthma and the lack of appropriate PPE I'm thinking it might not be the best idea. Anyone have any suggestions? I have a computer with good internet and a lot of free time.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I'm wondering what people are doing for volunteering during this pandemic? Currently I'm unemployed (because of COVID), I'm not taking any classes and I'm pretty much sitting at home doing nothing. The only thing I'm doing is volunteering for a sexual assault hotline (which I've been doing for over a year now). I feel like I should be doing something to help with all of my free time and truthfully I'm worried that admissions committees might look on it very negatively if I don't. I've looked for volunteer opportunities around me without much luck. I live in a fairly rural mountain area and there isn't much from what I've seen. There is a big city about an hour and a half away that I wouldn't mind going to once a week, but there's a statewide stay at home order and I'm not sure if that would be kosher. I sent in my application/background check for the statewide volunteer network thing and didn't hear anything back. I was accepted for a volunteer gig where I call lonely/struggling people who have requested some companionship (on the phone), but I haven't heard anything back about it either. I have my EMT-B and I was considering trying to do something clinical, but with my asthma and the lack of appropriate PPE I'm thinking it might not be the best idea. Anyone have any suggestions? I have a computer with good internet and a lot of free time.

Thanks

I think what your doing is totally fine. ADCOMs aren’t expecting you to put your life on the line for some volunteer hours, especially if you are at high risk with your asthma. One thing that isn’t volunteer related, but could be helpful in medical school and beyond, is learning Spanish. Stay Safe!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Hello all,

Thanks
I am currently volunteering at my local homeless shelter. That may be a risk because you are exposed to a lot of people, but honestly it has been the only place I could find after being cut from my local food bank due to these times. Sorry if this does not help. Stay safe!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think what your doing is totally fine. ADCOMs aren’t expecting you to put your life on the line for some volunteer hours, especially if you are at high risk with your asthma. One thing that isn’t volunteer related, but could be helpful in medical school and beyond, is learning Spanish. Stay Safe!

I would like to think so! Although I could see it going either way in regards to admissions committees. Becoming fluent in Spanish used to be one of my goals! And then Mrs. P came around

I am currently volunteering at my local homeless shelter. That may be a risk because you are exposed to a lot of people, but honestly it has been the only place I could find after being cut from my local food bank due to these times. Sorry if this does not help. Stay safe!

I was looking to do something like that although the nearest shelter is probably an hour away from me. Stay safe yourself!

Some organizations are looking for volunteers to make weekly friendly phone calls to eldelry shut-ins to see that they are okay and to connect them with services. I just looked for opportunities in Queens yesterday for a friend and found something like this. Other cities may have similar programs.

Some organizations are looking for volunteers to make weekly friendly phone calls to eldelry shut-ins to see that they are okay and to connect them with services. I just looked for opportunities in Queens yesterday for a friend and found something like this. Other cities may have similar programs.

That sounds exactly like the position I applied for. I was accepted, but I haven't heard anything back in a while. I will shoot them another email. I wonder if I could do this in another city from where I am? I don't need to be in Queens to call someone in Queens I don't think?

Also do you have anything thoughts to how adcoms might view volunteering during this time? (That's great they did that vs. I can't believe they didn't do that) That's been a concern of mine

That sounds exactly like the position I applied for. I was accepted, but I haven't heard anything back in a while. I will shoot them another email. I wonder if I could do this in another city from where I am? I don't need to be in Queens to call someone in Queens I don't think?

Also do you have anything thoughts to how adcoms might view volunteering during this time? (That's great they did that vs. I can't believe they didn't do that) That's been a concern of mine

It's great if you do. If you have a gap in your experiences, you might be asked how you spent your time during the shutdown-- partly out of curiosity and perhaps to see what interested you when your usual outlets for socializing and dealing wiht stress might have been unavailable.

There are certainly people who might have responsibiities for others in their households, particularly if members of the household were health care providers (we know that many applicants have parents who are health care workers).

It's great if you do. If you have a gap in your experiences, you might be asked how you spent your time during the shutdown-- partly out of curiosity and perhaps to see what interested you when your usual outlets for socializing and dealing wiht stress might have been unavailable.

There are certainly people who might have responsibiities for others in their households, particularly if members of the household were health care providers (we know that many applicants have parents who are health care workers).

Hmm so it sounds like apps won't be thrown immediately into a dumpster if they don't volunteer during this time, but it would still be better to do something. I'm going to keep looking for opportunities around me. If I can't find anything maybe I'll call lonely seniors in Tulsa. I'm far from very Tulsa, but I saw a posting online for it and why not?

I'm also filling my time with a lot of music practice. I have a degree in music, but I haven't been practicing as much as I'd like to since I graduated. This has given me a lot of time to start working on things again. I've also considered taking skype lessons during this time. Many great players can't gig so they're teaching right now.

Reactions: 1 user