MD Volunteering during M1 Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miyakan

MD Class of 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to start volunteering at an immediate care center this summer before M1, but I won't be able to do many hours before school starts this Fall. I would like to continue volunteering during the school year (4 hours every Saturday), but I'm not sure if it's possible while adjusting to medical school. Should I try to continue volunteering during the school year or would it be better to focus on participating in organizations at school?

Members don't see this ad.

The short answer is that it really doesn't matter.

If you enjoy volunteering then you can continue. You could take a break while the school year starts and you adjust to the workload, or you could keep volunteering and just stop if it gets too difficult with your coursework. Same thing w/ the school organizations. If you are interested in a particular field, wouldn't hurt to join an interest group.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I continued to volunteer at an organization where I worked all through college. It was really only difficult when studying for Step 1. If it makes you happy, do it.