Volunteering/ECs for a top tier EM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

g3tb0mbed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a current M2 at a top 40 program in the midwest. I have become very interested in EM, specifically some of the California Los Angeles programs as that is my hometown. I was wondering how important volunteering/EC activities are, i did a search and got mixed opinions. So far for the first two years I have pretty much focused solely on step 1 and have been scoring 250+ on all NBMEs. I also have one abstract published and currently submitting a manuscript to an EM journal, first author for both. Many of my peers have many interest group board positions, volunteering activities and such. I am wondering how much having literally none of these will hurt me and if maybe I should start looking into activities for my M3 year, since I know a huge part of EM is community service. I actually enjoy volunteering a lot, I just have completely prioritized academics these first couple years. Any other advice that could prepare me to match at these programs is very appreciated. . Thanks in advance for you guys' help

Members don't see this ad.

See the PD survey in the link below, specifically page 32 which were the weighted factors for ranking students in EM. It's one small part of the application, about as important as research, board scores, or AOA status. All are more important than something like the personal statement, but all aren't nearly as important for ranking compared to the SLOEs, interpersonal skills, and the interview. The five biggest weighted factors were:

LORs from within the specialty (SLOEs)
Interaction with faculty during interview
Interaction with residents during interview
Interpersonal skills
Audition rotation at that site

They have rankings to top 40 for medical schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
They have rankings to top 40 for medical schools?
I really wish we could all agree to stop posting about "top 40" or top any number medical schools.

Those numbers are useless, and the rankings only matter to medical students and their grandmothers who brag to their friends at bingo. While the general public may be very impressed to hear their doctor went to a top 40 medical school, it matters little in the grand scheme of things if someone attended University of Vermont for medical school (tied for #39).

Reactions: 1 user
Real talk if it isn't a top 5 program then regional plays more of a factor no one cares what a top 40 medical school is.

Only reason I included the top 40 is because Top 40 NIH funded schools is specifically listed as a category in the NRMP match outcomes. Was simply trying to give as much context to my situation as possible. I personally do not care about my school's ranking. Thanks to the one person who gave actual advice.

Only reason I included the top 40 is because Top 40 NIH funded schools is specifically listed as a category in the NRMP match outcomes. Was simply trying to give as much context to my situation as possible. I personally do not care about my school's ranking. Thanks to the one person who gave actual advice.
Ok ok here is my real advice. I didn't mean to come off as harsh. I just want people to know those rankings don't really matter much. I didn't add other advice because you received great advice that I didn't feel needed repeated.

Volunteering doesn't seem to matter a ton either. If you are easy to talk to, get along well with others, have decent grades and scores, then you will have no trouble obtaining decent or even excellent SLOEs.

Your work ethic, personality, and academics matter far more than volunteering.

Reactions: 3 users
I will say that many of the most competitive programs have their pick of people with great board scores and great SLOEs and good personalities. Many of them are also interested in producing future academicians. So it does help if you do something that shows you want to do academics, like research, education, leadership positions etc.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello,

I am a current M2 at a top 40 program in the midwest...
If you're interested in LAC/USC specifically, they are a very service oriented program. So hit the community service hard. The UCLA programs are less invested in the social mission. I don't know anything about the other area programs.

If you're interested in LAC/USC specifically, they are a very service oriented program. So hit the community service hard. The UCLA programs are less invested in the social mission. I don't know anything about the other area programs.

Definitely a program I am interested in. Thank you for the advice will definitely look into community service opportunities for my M3 and M4 years.