Volunteering for marathons/athletic events...good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manwelio

Reaction score
Of course this counts as non-clinical volunteering and it's better than nothing, but if you're specifically pitching yourself as a potential sports medicine applicant, would anyone say major marathon volunteering (or at other athletic events) is a plus and worth pursuing as much as possible?

I'm looking at options like the following:

*Fluid distribution stations
*Gel distribution stations
*Poncho distribution
*Athletes With Disabilities finish area assistance
*Runner recovery distribution

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Of course this counts as non-clinical volunteering and it's better than nothing, but if you're specifically pitching yourself as a potential sports medicine applicant, would anyone say major marathon volunteering (or at other athletic events) is a plus and worth pursuing as much as possible?

*Poncho distribution
Marathoners tend to be well-educated, well-employed, and financially stable. Not quite the group I picture when I think of the vulnerable, chronically unwell, and underserved. As a volunteer, you may very well be among the most underserved/vulnerable there... You should volunteer for this if it truly interests you (cue authenticity), but not "as much as possible" if it means sacrificing other aspects of your application. As a volunteering activity, I personally rate this pretty meh.

If your goal is to get into medical school, I would recommend having other more "traditional" non-clinical volunteering on your app (in addition to this activity). You should be volunteering with those who are different than you, who will take you out of your comfort zone. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)

*Poncho distribution

What about volunteering with the Special Olympics? Everybody loves them and I think it would look a little more service oriented.

Reactions: 1 users

*Poncho distribution
"Well, at least they spent the day handing out stuff instead of drinking."

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Agree with the above. Also, be careful about pitching yourself as a potential sports medicine physician. Having a niche this early in your career is considered to be a red flag by some adcoms who worry about the let down if it turns out that the goal is not in the cards and other medical specialties will have to be considered.

Most cities sponsor one marathon per year so if you want to do this kind of service project, go ahead. Do it once per year and put it on your application or not depending on whether you have 15 other things that are more powerful indicators of your interest in medicine, in scientific curiousity, leadership and service.

Reactions: 5 users
I think they would be more impressed if you ran in the marathon, which shows commitment and dedication. Anyone can hand out water and blankets.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I think they would be more impressed if you ran in the marathon, which shows commitment and dedication. Anyone can hand out water and blankets.
Marathon runners are a dime a dozen. That said, I've served with some adcom members who were also marathon runners so you might have your application read by a kindred spirit; or someone who was grateful for the water and blanket. There is also the possibility of having an application looked at by someone in emergency medicine who works the medical tent at a marathon and know what goes into an event like that. The point should be that you do the things that make you feel satisfied that you are spending your time wisely and let the chips fall where they may.

Reactions: 4 users
Very legit point, actually. I've heard it said before that running in marathons is viewed favorably because of the prep.

Does anyone else agree with this statement that marathons reflect a person's dedication and follow-through? Have these ever been cited in an interview for medicine? I've heard of it in business conversations and a former finance expert suggested putting it on resumes. Or is that just business?

Marathoners tend to be well-educated, well-employed, and financially stable. Not quite the group I picture when I think of the vulnerable, chronically unwell, and underserved. As a volunteer, you may very well be among the most underserved/vulnerable there... You should volunteer for this if it truly interests you (cue authenticity), but not "as much as possible" if it means sacrificing other aspects of your application. As a volunteering activity, I personally rate this pretty meh.

If your goal is to get into medical school, I would recommend having other more "traditional" non-clinical volunteering on your app (in addition to this activity). You should be volunteering with those who are different than you, who will take you out of your comfort zone. Just my thoughts.
This is a great point. Thank you. Though, I wonder if volunteering with the Athletes With Disabilities section overrides that a little? I think that might be an option as well. Though it's less clear if you are standing around giving directions to people or actually actively involved in assisting athletes with disabilities. I didn't cite it before because it's still unclear how much responsibility there is.

Marathon runners are a dime a dozen. That said, I've served with some adcom members who were also marathon runners so you might have your application read by a kindred spirit; or someone who was grateful for the water and blanket. There is also the possibility of having an application looked at by someone in emergency medicine who works the medical tent at a marathon and know what goes into an event like that. The point should be that you do the things that make you feel satisfied that you are spending your time wisely and let the chips fall where they may.
My preference is actually to get experience in the medical tents. I'm aware of opportunities to provide med support to the licensed volunteers, but I don't know how competitive it is. And they haven't listed the signup process yet and you're supposed to email if interested. I'm waiting to hear back on whether I would be able to apply as a support volunteer.

I'm definitely interested precisely because of the unique experience where any number of sudden injuries can occur. Or just after the race, whether it's hypothermia in cold weather or people who are too depleted to get to the buses and go home.

I remember being on a bus in Chicago years ago the same day of the marathon there. A girl was helping her friend get off the bus wearing their foil blankets. The friend could barely move. Her body had seized up and she seemed on the verge of losing consciousness. Her friend basically pulled her out the doors and toward a Chipotle on the corner.

• Hmm
I’m not surprised we’re “a dime a dozen”, because the same characteristics that make us able to train for and complete marathons also make us successful medical students and physicians. Same reasons you see so many high-level athletes and musicians in the medical field.

If you are looking for opportunities to work with people with disabilities who are engaging in athletics, search on "adaptive sports volunteers near me". "Adaptive sports" is the key word. I have a family member very engaged in adaptive sports and it really makes a tremendous difference in the lives of so many people.

• Care
I remember being on a bus in Chicago years ago the same day of the marathon there. A girl was helping her friend get off the bus wearing their foil blankets. The friend could barely move. Her body had seized up and she seemed on the verge of losing consciousness. Her friend basically pulled her out the doors and toward a Chipotle on the corner.
Nothing a little metabolic acidosis can't fix!

*Poncho distribution
Do things because you like doing them rather than how they will look on an application. You'll better preserve your mental sanity that way and get more out of these experiences.

Reactions: 3 users
If you are looking for opportunities to work with people with disabilities who are engaging in athletics, search on "adaptive sports volunteers near me". "Adaptive sports" is the key word. I have a family member very engaged in adaptive sports and it really makes a tremendous difference in the lives of so many people.
Thanks for this rec! I just discovered Achilles International, which seems like an awesome organization!

Do things because you like doing them rather than how they will look on an application. You'll better preserve your mental sanity that way and get more out of these experiences.
That's the thing, this is stuff that I like doing. Just wondering if it would be too "light" for an application. Like, "Oh, that's nice, but that's not important." If it would be taken that way, I'd just not list it. But it sounds like it's a fun extra that might grab attention.

We want to know "what do you do for fun? what sets you apart from the thousands of very similar applicants? What makes your heart sing?" Telling us about your athletic accomplishments and your engagement with people participating in athletic events tells us something about you as a person and we love that.

That's the thing, this is stuff that I like doing. Just wondering if it would be too "light" for an application. Like, "Oh, that's nice, but that's not important." If it would be taken that way, I'd just not list it. But it sounds like it's a fun extra that might grab attention.
Who cares about whether people think it's too "light" or not for an application. Life is too short to live according to the whims of others.

One of my hobbies is machining firearm parts* and training for gun competitions*. Do I love it and does it keep me sane? Heck yea!

Is it going on my app? Definitely not. I lost all memory of it in a boating accident.

*Metaphorically speaking and in Minecraft of course.