Volunteering hours with a school club?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

On_The_Way_Up

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am apart of a couple of student organizations at school and part of what we do is volunteer at various places in the community. Could I include these in my non medical volunteering hours? When it comes time to apply how do I put that down on an application? Would it be ok if I put down the club's name and for contact put down each club's faculty advisor? Has anyone had experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

I am apart of a couple of student organizations at school and part of what we do is volunteer at various places in the community.
1) Could I include these in my non medical volunteering hours?
2) When it comes time to apply how do I put that down on an application?
3) Would it be ok if I put down the club's name and for contact put down each club's faculty advisor? Has anyone had experience with this?
1) Yes.
2) You will want to keep a log of each site (and the sponsoring organization) where you volunteer and how many hours you spent there so you can be specific when you fill out the application.
3) Yes. It will save you a lot of space if you don't need to add multiple additional contacts in the narrative space that would be better spent describing the experience. Be sure the faculty advisor knows who you are in case they are contacted.

As a side note: take advantage of the wide exposure you receive through these clubs to find a cause you care about that you can give regular, dedicated time to. Short-term volunteerism isn't viewed as positively by adcomms as a consistent, longitudinal experience would be.

Thanks for the response. Yeah the bulk of my volunteering is on my own time and I regularly volunteer at these places. But I do volunteer quite a bit with my school clubs so would like to add these hours as well.