volunteering hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wetlightning

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

hope apps are going well! i've seen several posts where sdn'ers have amazing amounts of volunteering hours, so i was wondering - is it really sheer hours that matter, or rather quality of experience/what you got out of it/consistency. i wasn't able to rack up as many hours, but i've been volunteering pretty consistently at least once or twice during the week over my past 3 undergrad years....what do you guys think?

also, i got an internship in boston this summer -- it's not clinical, but it's medically-related. i'm really excited about it, but now i wonder if it would have been better to do something clinical/shadowing, etc.

i have an entire summer's research experience also, btw

just wanted your input!

Members don't see this ad.

wetlightning said:
hey all,

hope apps are going well! i've seen several posts where sdn'ers have amazing amounts of volunteering hours, so i was wondering - is it really sheer hours that matter, or rather quality of experience/what you got out of it/consistency. i wasn't able to rack up as many hours, but i've been volunteering pretty consistently at least once or twice during the week over my past 3 undergrad years....what do you guys think?

also, i got an internship in boston this summer -- it's not clinical, but it's medically-related. i'm really excited about it, but now i wonder if it would have been better to do something clinical/shadowing, etc.

i have an entire summer's research experience also, btw

just wanted your input!

Quality of exp. Search through these forums for more information on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzielin
Hey I have around 500 hours in. Again, it isn't how much you have but what you get out of it.

I have been to this amazing camp for kids with leukemia for a couple years, where me and my friends were the camp counselors. We learned so much and by the end of camp were so touched, I know I won't forget it for the rest of my life.

AS for clinically, being in the orthopedics/trauma/ER floors of a few hospitals I have seen everything from fetal testing to LPs (lumbar punctures) to open abdominal surgery! SOOOO COOL!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

When you post this type of question, these are the main responses you will get: people who have gone to extremes and like to tell others about them. You don't need to have any magic number of hours, most people just like to see that you have dedicated yourself, at length, to something you care about. As for the person with 500 hours, this is not an attack, I would be proud of the work you have done as well, but even you must admit that this is more the exception than the rule.

As an example, I volunteer 2-3 hours on Saturday's at a place where children undergoing treatment live. I have been there since last August and imagine that though my "number of hours" is far less than 500, it is probably an equal experience in the eyes of admissions committees. Find something you enjoy (if it is medically related, all the better - but not necessary), and devote some time to it as a volunteer.

Adam