Volunteering in Clinic and Volunteering in Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are both recommended? I know lots of people who have both clinic volunteering and hospital volunteering. I understand the advantages and disadvantages of both settings but if we only volunteer in a hospital, will we be at a disadvantage in adcom's eyes when it comes to admissions for not having tried out clinic volunteering? I just doubt I have the time to volunteer in a hospital and a clinic along with other activities.

Members don't see this ad.

Are both recommended? I know lots of people who have both clinic volunteering and hospital volunteering. I understand the advantages and disadvantages of both settings but if we only volunteer in a hospital, will we be at a disadvantage in adcom's eyes when it comes to admissions for not having tried out clinic volunteering? I just doubt I have the time to volunteer in a hospital and a clinic along with other activities.

The whole point of getting medically-related volunteering is to show adcoms that you have taken the time to experience and learn about the American healthcare system. I'm sure volunteering in both a clinic and a hospital would be good, but I highly doubt that it is necessary. I really couldn't see an adcom looking down on an applicant for not having done clinic volunteering in particular. I personally would spend my time improving other ECs that are more unique.

Don't worry, you won't be at a disadvantage to anything. ADCOMs have seen all these kinds of clinical volunteer experiences millions of times over, and they would both be sufficient. The reason that people on SDN prefer clinics is because you can do more, and if it's a free clinic, you don't feel stupid being taken advantage of like you are at a hospital.

In the grand scheme of things, mostly with admissions itself, being able to come off as meaningful with a long commitment checked off is all that matters. You don't need more experiences, especially if it can harm your grades due to lack of time! Checking off the box is of most importance. It doesn't matter where. Clinical experience is clinical experience. There's no need for any overkill like you see all over this site.

Do what fits your schedule best! :thumbup: