Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2001
Visit site
Status
in terms of residency placement, does volunteering help for areas like derm/optho? or would u be better off spending that time on research/improving academics.

edinOH

Can I get a work excuse?
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
volunteering only helps with getting into medical school. It is feel-good fluff.

Nobody cares when it comes to residency applications.

About the Ads

Skrubz

Not your scut monkey
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
Visit site
Status
<edit>

point taken, doc05. what do i know anyways?

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Skrubz
I'm going to disagree and say that it depends on the program. High-powered academic programs probably couldn't give a rat's @$$ about volunteering experiences. Some community programs would be interested, I think, if serving the underserved is an important part of their mission.

I did a fair amount of volunteering throughout med school with our Asian-American med student org, particularly at health screenings and such for the underserved/non-English speaking Asian immigrant population. I think my experiences and dedication (along with leadership roles) helped me land my prelim spot. SCVMC is Santa Clara county's county hospital and, from my impression on interview day, quite dedicated to the largely immigrant and/or economically depressed population they serve.
How hard is it to land a prelim spot? and who cares about your prelim year, anyway?

It is more likely that someone who had the credentials to match at Stanford had pretty much their pick of prelim spots.

omores

sleep deprived
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2000
Seattle
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Volunteering may well play a role in getting junior AOA status, however, which would be a big asset.

Finally M3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
If all things are equal, I think those with org/volunt would have an edge over someone who didn't do anything.

That being said, your volunteering in the free clinic won't put you over a Harvard AOA USMLE1-2 > 99%. If you have a limited amount of time and are gunning for Optho/Derm, wouldn't your time be better spent studying to AOA and ace the boards?

About the Ads