Volunteering is really boring and I'm not getting much out of it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

argama

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a question about volunteering at a hospital. I know this has been probably discussed before but I would just like some ppl's input on this.

Like most premeds here, I am uh not very fond of it. I only have ~46 hours clinical volunteering. It's NOT because I do scut work or the nurses boss me around. Or that I file stuff or do administrative stuff. In fact I wish they would let me do all the above.

The reason is that every time I go there I spend 5 hours (including driving there and back ~1 hr total) doing pretty much nothing. Literally. I sit there, I man this "calling station" where patients at the university hospital call and ask for nurse or assistant and I tell said nurse or assistant. I always ask the nurses every like 30 minutes or 45 minutes if there's anything I can do to help at which they politely say no and thank me for asking. And so I sit and watch the second tick by. Or maybe I watch the residents talk about their cases and listen just because I have nothing else to do. For 4 hours. If I'm lucky, I get to arrange the papers in a binder and put it on the shelf. I feel like I'd be more productive at the gift shop section, where at least I can talk to patients who want to buy a shirt or teddy bear or something.

There's also a secretary who also does the same job as me at the nurse's station. The thing is, most of the time I go, it's never busy, I rarely make contact with patients, and I guess the time I go, there arent many patients. It's probably because there's no ER at this hospital. I don't want to study there b/c it's rude and not professional so I end up wasting time and get tired of just sitting and staring at the clock in front of my face. When the nurses tell me (once in a blue moon) to file stuff and arrange some boxes or *gasp* bring the patient a cup of water, I feel like "YEAHH I GET TO DO STUFF!!!!" After which I do it quickly and then sit and stare at the call monitor again. I don't even move patients around.

And this time (~5ish hrs) per week I feel like I can use to study for my mcat and other ECs. Is it bad that when I finally finish the gig here at the hospital I will probably have ~100ish hours of clinical volunteering when I apply? I have like maybe 2 stories where I thought was cool from volunteering but not like any life-changing/inspiration moment sort of thing. I seriously feel like I'm not getting much out of it but it's the closest hospital to me. I have a lot more nonclinical volunteering which I geniunely love and enjoy doing.

OH and I also have physician shadowing (~60 hours) in 3 different fields (well 2 surgeries, 1 Primary care). I really enjoyed it and will probably do more during the breaks. Those hours flew by like nothing. But that was not through volunteering....it was through some connections.

So any suggestions? Should i just suck it up? I feel bad when I skip it but sometimes I do because I don't want to rush doing my hw/studying after the shift + classes. I am taking a gap year and hope to get a lot more clinical exposure and hands on stuff then. The hospitals near my school don't really do much for their volunteers.

Sorry for the long post! D=

Members don't see this ad.

Leave it, and find something else more worthwhile. You're clearly not gaining anything from this activity for you to be able to talk about in your application or in an interview. And your wasting precious time. Life's too short.

This is a quote from LizzyM (an adcom member in case you don't know) which I think will help you some...

What skills do you have and where can those skills really make a difference?

You are educated and have done well in school, so:

There are millions of kids in the US who are falling behind in school and who don't see the path to higher education. Tutoring in academic subjects at all levels is very valuable. So is coaching HS students in the testing/application process for college, particularly in situations where the kid is the first in the family to attend college. Health education for junior high and HS kids is important, too, and sometimes someone your age can discuss stuff that would be "weird" coming from the classroom teacher.

If you are knowledgable of the need for blood and bone marrow donors and skilled in persuasion, you might enjoy recruiting people to participate in blood drives. If you are more of a people-organizer, you might volunteer to help organize blood drives "on the day of".

If you have skills in sports, you can be of service as a coach for kids who would not otherwise have a coach, or for physically or disabled athletes in need of assistance.

Adult literacy programs for both native speakers of English and non-native speakers of English (no knowledge of their primary language is needed) are in need of tutors.

try volunteermatch.org to find agencies in need in your community.

I got a position via that website teaching adult health education classes at local women's shelters and group homes...

Also check out local Nursing Homes, Hospices and Assisted Living facillities ...the seniors there always need some one to hang out with...and you sure will smell them too ;)

Goodluck!

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
My experience wasn't much better. I lasted for 4 hours before I quit, it was that stupid and pointless. I'm going to force myself to do it some more so I have some clinical volunteering to put down.

With that said, play the game. Clock in, leave for 4 hours, come back, clock out. Maybe be inconspicuous: do some work, wander around, play Angry Birds in the bathroom for half an hour every hour. Make up some bs about how amazingly enlightening your volunteering experience was.

yep that pretty much sounds like volunteering to me. I say stick it out until you get an appreciable amount of hours you could write down for this exposure, 50? 100? Up to you. Then move on to something else. I've found volunteering to be hit or miss with miss predominating.

If there are other volunteer opportunities nearby, I would switch. You want your volunteer experiences to give good material for application essays and interviews.

thanks for everyone's responses! Yes I admit, I do play the game too....sometimes I do 2 or 3 hrs and write 4. I don't like to take a lunch break during my shift b/c that's just not cool. Some ppl do that I heard. I just want something to do....hell I'd even be cool with rearranging the stuff when theyre done. But when I am given nothing to do it just feel super awk. Esp since I'm taking up a chair when a nurse or someone else might want one haha.

In terms of other ECs, I do all the typical SDN ones.....I tutored a couple college students in physics and ochem last year.....I currently spend 4 hrs/week teaching/mentoring underserved kids around my school. I also did more of that but a more concentrated time commitment earlier in college (~200 hrs of teaching/mentoring in the summer, it's pretty fun!), I spent like craploads of time doing bench research (2.5 yrs) and I have 1 pub and maybe 1 more but I got pretty sick of research at the end. My PI talks highly of me though and we are super chill. And I play sports and have a leadership position in the club sport. Basically your average cookie-cutter. The only thing lacking in terms of ECs are clinical-exposure and volunteering (46 hrs rounding up lol).

And so yeah......my grades are just avg 3.6 and my MCAT is going to be retaken because it sucked. Big time lol.

If there are other volunteer opportunities nearby, I would switch. You want your volunteer experiences to give good material for application essays and interviews.

if I don't mention or talk about volunteering a lot in my app essays is that really bad? There are some other opportunities but theyre farther and much less convenient. I might end up doing one anyways. The thing is, at my school, the main nearby hospital where everyone used to get their volunteering time AND have stories & experiences to talk about (basically ED volunteer) scrapped the volunteer dept. So the older premeds who graduated from my UG had cool stories of doing stuff in ED and at least they were busy. They saw a bazillion cases from gunshot wounds to any sort of crazy case patients and often stressed that they felt like they were doing someting productive in the ED.

I don't want to study there b/c it's rude and not professional so I end up wasting time and get tired of just sitting and staring at the clock in front of my face.

This could be a blessing in disguise. I don't think it's necessarily rude unless they specifically ask you not to do it, or are doing work instead of doing tasks that were already assigned. When I volunteered in the ED (close to 400 hours by the time I quit), I usually was doing scut work instead of sitting around watching the clock. I kind of wish that I was left alone, so that I could study. I did have a few enlightening moments, and that's really what you need. After a few sessions in the ED, it's really done all it can for you.

So if I were you, I would take advantage of the clock watching. Do your homework or study. You have nothing to lose. What's the worst thing that can happen? They will ask you to stop? And don't forget, you are there by your own free will. You are not being paid for it. Looking back at my grades, I definitely wish I used that time to study!

This could be a blessing in disguise. I don't think it's necessarily rude unless they specifically ask you not to do it, or are doing work instead of doing tasks that were already assigned. When I volunteered in the ED (close to 400 hours by the time I quit), I usually was doing scut work instead of sitting around watching the clock. I kind of wish that I was left alone, so that I could study. I did have a few enlightening moments, and that's really what you need. After a few sessions in the ED, it's really done all it can for you.

So if I were you, I would take advantage of the clock watching. Do your homework or study. You have nothing to lose. What's the worst thing that can happen? They will ask you to stop? And don't forget, you are there by your own free will. You are not being paid for it. Looking back at my grades, I definitely wish I used that time to study!

I have tried a few times (when I was in a time crunch to study and it was not busy), but one time I asked one of the nicer nurses and he was like "make sure you hide it well b/c when the charge nurse is here she won't be happy". The place I sit is not in a corner....it's literally in the center of the nurse's station. Doctors, nurses, PTs, residents, med students are always milling about right next to me. So people are always walking around me within 2 feet and that's another reason I don't just whip out a textbook or whatnot. Also it takes up the small space we have there.

No kiddin' ! Being able to study at work is the only way I could keep up with my school work (and the ridiculous amount of time I spend on SDN :D)

I have tried a few times (when I was in a time crunch to study and it was not busy), but one time I asked one of the nicer nurses and he was like "make sure you hide it well b/c when the charge nurse is here she won't be happy". The place I sit is not in a corner....it's literally in the center of the nurse's station. Doctors, nurses, PTs, residents, med students are always milling about right next to me. So people are always walking around me within 2 feet and that's another reason I don't just whip out a textbook or whatnot. Also it takes up the small space we have there.

It sounds like the "nicer" nurse understands and probably won't get you for it. Why not wait and see what the charge nurse says? What are they going to do, fire you?

Well, if you volunteer in a hospital that is a hot spot for pre-meds (close to a college campus), then maybe you should be worried since they can replace you just like that. But if you're out in suburbia or away from college pre-meds, then you'll probably be okay. In terms of what matters in the future is being able to truthfully state your commitment on the AMCAS. The "volunteer LOR" is supposedly worthless.

I definitely feel your pain! It is awkward! I used to volunteer in the ER, but the volunteer coordinator recently asked if I'd be interested in their new volunteer position in the ER waiting room. She told me "patients always need help! you'll get to interact with patients even more than in the ER!"

lies, all lies:mad:

I sit at a desk against a wall in our super tiny ER waiting room. The first day I sat there for an hour until the triage nurse looked at me sympathetically and asked "You okay over there?" :thumbdown: