• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Medical Volunteering: is this Clinical vs Non-Clinical vs Research?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2013
I am having trouble classifying two activities/meaningful experiences. I dedicated a lot of time to each and was really successful in both. They are a large part of my application, so I would rather not misclassify them, or assign them a category that "doesn't do me justice" or label them in a way that would annoy the adcoms..... Both roles were volunteer for a non-profit org that provides health care to underserved populations.

800hrs
Overseeing the collection, maintenance, analysis, and use of data that was gathered during outreach events/clinics. Compiled presented reports to admins/orgs/teams, helped guide decision making etc. etc
(research or non-clinical or clinical)??

800hrs (Later)
As the actual director of said non profit...directed medical/PA/nursing/ students, providers. expanded program, ensured clinic/outreach sites ran smoothly, put out fires etc. etc (Leadership(other) or non-clinical or clinical)??

In both roles, I rarely "smelled" the patients, as the rule of thumb goes. I wasn't licensed to provide care... As arbitrator and with my direction though the programs were expanded, clinic data and findings presented etc. etc.
Overseeing the collection, maintenance, analysis, and use of data that was gathered during outreach events/clinics. Compiled presented reports to admins/orgs/teams, helped guide decision making etc. etc
(research or non-clinical or clinical)??
research

As the actual director of said non profit...directed medical/PA/nursing/ students, providers. expanded program, ensured clinic/outreach sites ran smoothly, put out fires etc. etc (Leadership(other) or non-clinical or clinical)??
non-clinical

Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
  1. Attending Physician
1) This doesn't sound like the type of research intended for a Research space as it was in-house quality-improvement data that was collected and not hypothesis-driven, scholarly investigation. And you said you were the overseer.

2) To my mind, this is leadership, though also a community service.

I'd suggest that all of this could be entered under the tag Leadership. If you prefer to emphasize that it was all nonpaid service to the community, by all means, tag it as Community Service-Not Medical/Clinical, but include some mention of leadership roles in the name you give the space. JMO.

Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
  1. Attending Physician
Which has more "bang for the buck"?

I heard that some schools will calculate hours into different fields, if I have 1600 hours of leadership and like 200 hours of Non-clinical volunteering (Ive got other extended EC's), would placing emphasis on leadership vs non-clinical volunteering be more conducive for these purposes, or vice versa?
It depends on the school. The mission statement can give a clue as to whether they are service-oriented vs they"Aim to train future leaders in medicine."

Also, just because you list an activity as Leadership doesn't mean that you can't make it perfectly clear through the title of the space and the narrative description that it is also a community service.

Status
Not open for further replies.