Volunteering just for a letter of rec.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rl1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it wrong to start a volunteer/work position just to try and get a letter of recommendation out of your supervisor?

I need a letter from a specific person, and might be able to work in their lab this summer. Should I disclose my reason for wanting the position? How do I approach them...wait until the end of the experience to pop the big "will you write a letter" question, or accept the position with them knowing that's what you're working for.

Members don't see this ad.

Work in the lab because you want to, not because you need the LOR. If your intensions are not sincere, then you'll hate the experience, won't perform to your best, and probably not get the great letter you were hoping for. That said, if you really like what the lab does and you think you have much to gain from it beyond the LOR, then sure, go for it.

Should I disclose my reason for wanting the position? How do I approach them...wait until the end of the experience to pop the big "will you write a letter" question, or accept the position with them knowing that's what you're working for.
I had loads of research experience but no private practice exposure and was strongly advised to get some before applying. So I had exactly the same situation when finding someone to shadow. You should state up-front that you're applying to veterinary school, you expect the experience gained while working for them will help you tremendously in your education and career, etc., and you hope that they would be willing to write you a letter of recommendation at the end of the summer. Try not to phrase it as "I don't really want to work here, but I need the letter, so..." ;)

If they know up-front that this is a temporary gig for you and your ultimate goal is vet school, you will be less likely to end up in uncomfortable situations where they are trying to offer you a continuing position and you actually just want to get your letter and get out. And if they know up-front that you want a letter, then you'll avoid the uncomfortable situation of having worked your tail off to get a good letter without yet knowing whether they're willing to write you one.

Believe me, people expect this kind of thing. Just emphasize needing and wanting the *experience*, rather than needing and wanting the letter, and you should be OK.

(PS. I have ended up learning quite a lot while shadowing, and I'm actually still doing it once a week even though my applications are in and I have acceptances back. It hasn't changed my plans to *not* work in primary care private practice, but I believe that things I've learned about client interactions, small-business woes, and public perceptions will be applicable in some fashion down the line. So keep an open mind, try not to think of it as working *just* to get the letter, and absorb whatever lessons come your way this summer...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it wrong to start a volunteer/work position just to try and get a letter of recommendation out of your supervisor?

I need a letter from a specific person, and might be able to work in their lab this summer. Should I disclose my reason for wanting the position? How do I approach them...wait until the end of the experience to pop the big "will you write a letter" question, or accept the position with them knowing that's what you're working for.

i suggest changing your attitude towards it. nothing wrong with doing it with *just* hte letter as an end goal (only reason i applied for my current job... turned out i got a free apartment out of it too, though), but you go in with that attitude, and you ain't getting anywhere. even if you do get the letter, it'll be a crappy one cause you weren't interested in the work. lose/lose.

i'm not suggesting you're being completely lackadaisical about the job, i'm just saying be judicious with whose time you waste. as kate said, being up front and working with the supervisor and making them aware of your goal is A-ok... for my interview at the current job, somehting along these lines came up. i made it very clear that come next summer i'd be asking her for a reference letter, and that i did, she did, and we're all happy. but short term positions are difficult to get in and out of with a letter. blah blah blah, you get the jist :)

Just for the record, I am never "lackadaisical" about any of my volunteer/work experiences. I am an applicant with literally tens of thousands of hours of veterinary research experience, with only a few scattered clinical experiences. It is pretty obvious to anyone who glances at my application that I need a more traditional vet recommendation. My question was how to approach the situation, not whether or not my attitude would get me anywhere, though I appreciate the concern. :sleep:

Thanks, kate_g, your response was helpful. :)

ok, suit yourself.

I have tons of thousands of hours too, but I hadn't actually had any recent vet clinic experience for the past few years, so I worked for a vet last year just before submitting my application. I did it for the letter, of coarse. I have more than enough experience, but the schools seem to wait past experience less. Anyways, I ended up hating working for this mobile vet, and didn't get a letter from him in return either. I guess I should have made it clear in the beginning that I really needed a letter, lol! The schools questioned why I didn't get a letter of Rec. from him too! We just didn't get along well. He had no patience:cool: I don't know if I would mention a letter up front, but definitely mention that you are applying to vet school this year. They know that if you say that that you probably won't a letter. It's kind of awkward to mention a recommendation letter at the beginning but mentioning that you are going to vet school is the more tactful way of saying you would like a good letter at the end! Good luck! :D

Anyways, I ended up hating working for this mobile vet, and didn't get a letter from him in return either. ... We just didn't get along well. He had no patience
So one thing I would definitely recommend, particularly if you are looking to do something more or less because you "have" to for your application, is doing it with somebody who does this kind of thing a lot. I my case, the clinic I've been taking my cats to for years also happens to be the one that the undergrad pre-vet club goes to for behind-the-scenes tours, and has been very welcoming to pre-vets looking for experience. Once I found that out, it was kind of a no-brainer that I'd shadow there. The vets have had *loads* of people shadow them, know how to write a good letter, and understand that we're doing this as much because it's required as we are for our own good.

Yeah, one thing I made sure of before taking any positions was that the people I was working for had experience with pre-vets and knew what was expected on both ends. When I first got a job in a small animal hospital, he flat out told me that he knew he had to write me a letter and to just let him know when I needed it. This is the best situation if you can find it.

What's funny is the vet I shadowed last year did mention that he knows I need good letters for vet school, as he went through the process himself some 30 years ago! If I would have asked at the end, I know it would not have been a good one! You just need to be careful about where you choose to work! This could very well be why I got rejected from some schools, who knows! ;) I find it to be very hard and awkward to ask for a letter of recommendation. I found this to be the hardest part of the whole application process!

Kind of off topic but...I volunteered for a small animal practice b/c I needed some clinical experience and also didn't really have a vet that knew me well enough from my other job to write me a recommendation. I flat out asked him if he would consider writing me a LOR before I agreed to it and he wasn't offended at all, I think they were actually looking forward to working w/ a pre-vetter. Anyways, after volunteering at the clinic for over 300 hours on top of working at my other job, I showed up one day and the vet had cleared his office overnight and left town w/o any contact info except his cell phone which he wouldn't answer if any of us called. Talk about WEIRD.

That is weird! I wonder what happened to him! So you worked there for the letter, over 300 hours, and didn't get one after all! I guess it happens to the best of us! The vet I worked for in high school, which was not for the letter but for fun, agreed to write one but he was the biggest procrastinator ever! I can't tell you how many times I asked him for the letter, but never got it. But that was back in high school and I wasn't a pre-vet student back then either. :rolleyes: