Volunteering - Length of Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farrah2

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on my Spring '01 class schedule. Looks like I'll be in class 4 nights a week. I work full time, so I have to take classes after 4:30pm.

I'm taking a full load. Getting home after 8:30 or 9:30 each night, I don't see how I'm going to have time to volunteer and keep up with my studies and work.

I have non-medical volunteer history already, but I plan to go work at a Children's Hospital as a volunteer before I apply to med school. Do the adcoms and interviewers want you to have more than a year of volunteer experience or does it matter?

If all goes well, I'd be interviewing in Summer/Fall of 2002. If I start volunteering now, I'd have almost 2 years of experience by then.

This may make more of a difference for me because I am a non-traditional, over 30 student who has 2 business degrees and NO medical experience. What do you guys think I should do?

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

------------------
Farrah

"The road to success has many parking places." ....Steve Potter

Members don't see this ad.

There is no such thing as a set number of volunteer hours that will put you into a magical "acceptance" category.

Show them that you are making an effort to be involved in the community and in the medical field.

Do as much as you can. If you can spare weekend time, then try that. Some busy hospital ER's love to have people on Friday nights.

Best of luck to you.

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

I need some advise.. Then how bad is working at a hospital a little over 6 months and leave the job on Spring 2001 to take lots of courses (19-21 credits) and get all good grades and then come back to work to volunteer at a hospital during the summer?
Do you see any committment there?
What about getting a researching job after only 6 months of clinical experience?

Any comments will be appreciated
smile.gif