Volunteering Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted862527

Hi everyone!

I have researched into volunteering opportunities from the American Society of Hematology. All of the locations listed for volunteering are overseas (ex: Tanzania, Cambodia, Peru, Uganda, etc). Although all of these locations sound interesting, (I may be paranoid asking this question) but in general how safe are these areas for volunteering? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure there are vacation/tourist forums online that might serve some use to you. They probably give you general safety + safety tips of the places you've mentioned. As for personal experience, I have a friend who's been to Tanzania 3 times now and she's never had any problems.

Also a side note, overseas volunteering is not highly looked upon from what I've heard so do a little bit more research and see if this opportunity is really the best for you moving forward.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!

I have researched into volunteering opportunities from the American Society of Hematology. All of the locations listed for volunteering are overseas (ex: Tanzania, Cambodia, Peru, Uganda, etc). Although all of these locations sound interesting, (I may be paranoid asking this question) but in general how safe are these areas for volunteering? Thanks.
You might check the CDC's website for each country and get an idea of prevalent diseases and whether some can be prevented with vaccines or anti-malaria medication.

Yeah it's real dependent of location and altitude. Above a certain altitude the weird tropical diseases and malaria risk go away. Been to Peru a few times, not a concern in most major cities as long as you stay out of the jungle. (dangerous for other reasons anyway).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile