• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Volunteering Opportunities

D

deleted862527

Hi everyone!

I have researched into volunteering opportunities from the American Society of Hematology. All of the locations listed for volunteering are overseas (ex: Tanzania, Cambodia, Peru, Uganda, etc). Although all of these locations sound interesting, (I may be paranoid asking this question) but in general how safe are these areas for volunteering? Thanks.

Kpw101

7+ Year Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    1. Medical Student
      I'm sure there are vacation/tourist forums online that might serve some use to you. They probably give you general safety + safety tips of the places you've mentioned. As for personal experience, I have a friend who's been to Tanzania 3 times now and she's never had any problems.

Also a side note, overseas volunteering is not highly looked upon from what I've heard so do a little bit more research and see if this opportunity is really the best for you moving forward.

Reactions: 1 user

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
      Verified Expert
      15+ Year Member
      Sep 4, 2006
      The Other Side of the Portal
      1. Attending Physician
        Hi everyone!

I have researched into volunteering opportunities from the American Society of Hematology. All of the locations listed for volunteering are overseas (ex: Tanzania, Cambodia, Peru, Uganda, etc). Although all of these locations sound interesting, (I may be paranoid asking this question) but in general how safe are these areas for volunteering? Thanks.
        You might check the CDC's website for each country and get an idea of prevalent diseases and whether some can be prevented with vaccines or anti-malaria medication.

djtallahassee

2+ Year Member
        Mar 8, 2017
        1. Pre-Medical
          Yeah it's real dependent of location and altitude. Above a certain altitude the weird tropical diseases and malaria risk go away. Been to Peru a few times, not a concern in most major cities as long as you stay out of the jungle. (dangerous for other reasons anyway).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.