Volunteering or Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Endoxifen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was invited to participate in a statewide review of palliative care usage and availability. This is purely internal for use by the state government, but it may involve statistical analysis. I won't be payed and there is no ability to publish the results. Would this count as research or volunteering? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I was invited to participate in a statewide review of palliative care usage and availability. This is purely internal for use by the state government, but it may involve statistical analysis. I won't be payed and there is no ability to publish the results. Would this count as research or volunteering? Thank you!
From what information you've provided, it doesn't sound like hypothesis-based research based on the scientific method. Rather, more like a project, which could be categorized as "Other" on an AMCAS application. You can make the volunteer aspect clear in your title and/or activity description.

Reactions: 1 user
From what information you've provided, it doesn't sound like hypothesis-based research based on the scientific method. Rather, more like a project, which could be categorized as "Other" on an AMCAS application. You can make the volunteer aspect clear in your title and/or activity description.
Can you clarify what constitutes a "volunteer aspect"? I don't foresee interacting with patients, but I think the project could still count as non-clinical volunteering. Clearly it isn't like working with underprivileged kids or MOW, but it is still altruistic because the results will be used to model future policy and palliative care initiatives. Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you clarify what constitutes a "volunteer aspect"? I don't foresee interacting with patients, but I think the project could still count as non-clinical volunteering. Clearly it isn't like working with underprivileged kids or MOW, but it is still altruistic because the results will be used to model future policy and palliative care initiatives.
It is "volunteer" in the respect that you are not getting paid or receiving class credit. To draw a parallel: This is similar to many applicants' research activities, which one can say are for the greater good, yet they are not categorized as Volunteer/Community Service, either.

It is "volunteer" in the respect that you are not getting paid or receiving class credit. To draw a parallel: This is similar to many applicants' research activities, which one can say are for the greater good, yet they are not categorized as Volunteer/Community Service, either.
I suppose that's fair. Thanks for setting me straight.