Volunteering or shadowing in a vet clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhynae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I wanted to say that this is my first post ever on the SDN, so I hope that I'm doing everything right.

Next, I'm in school trying to become a Veterinary Technologist. I've only completed my first year, so I still have a ways to go. Right now, I'm only in the "Pre-Vet Tech" program at my university, so I'm basically taking general courses like biology and chemistry. Once I get into the program, I'll start taking vet classes. However, to get into the program, you need to have 120 hours of documented experience inside a vet clinic. Since I have no experience, I need to find a veterinary clinic that would take me on as only a summer volunteer.

I have no idea where to start though. Should I call first (and exactly what would I say)? Or just walk in? Should I dress professionally? Do I need to bring a resume? On the resume part, since I have no experience, I'm not exactly sure what I would even put under experience.

If anyone could help, or give any advice/suggestions, that would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a link to a similar thread that may be of help to you:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=994608

I would be skeptikal of talking over the phone, because you can't really get a good feel of what the place is like and if it is a place where you'd like to volunteer/shadow. I'm not sure what I'd do about the resume dilemma. Do you have much experience working with animals outside a veterinary setting? If you do, you could probably just tell the veterinarian about it.

I would go around to local clinics (phonebook, google, word of mouth) dressed professionally (not full on suit, maybe business casual) with your resume in hand. Explain your situation to the office manager or receptionist (maybe place a sticky note on the first page with the explanation or even write a cover letter) and ask them to please let you know if they have such an opportunity available. I would follow up after visiting to make sure they've forwarded your request to whoever is in charge.

For your resume, include any work experience or community involvement.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea where to start though. Should I call first (and exactly what would I say)? Or just walk in? Should I dress professionally? Do I need to bring a resume? On the resume part, since I have no experience, I'm not exactly sure what I would even put under experience.

If anyone could help, or give any advice/suggestions, that would be great. Thanks.

I think you should put yourself in their shoes and ask what you'd want. Would you want someone to dress nicely when they showed up to ask? Would you want to see a resume and/or cover letter detailing that person's background? (Hint: Yes and yes. No need to go full-on interview clothes, though - just look nice, ya know?)

If you have access to transportation I personally would go to them in person. The flip side is that it costs more to drive all over, and you can hit up more clinics if you just do it on the phone. Pick your poison. In general I think you'll have more luck in person, but there are good arguments either way.

Don't neglect your circle of contacts. Ask your family and friends what vets they know, and what they think of them. You might be surprised. My first shadowing gig came from a study partner in undergrad who was distantly related to a vet. I still spend time at that clinic and love it there. Hoping to get a job there after school.

My usual advice is to tell people to ask if they can shadow for a day. Don't start out asking for a long-term gig because they're more likely to hesitate and not want to commit, whereas one day ... no big deal. In their minds they're going to think "Sure, why not? If we can't stand having her around we won't do it again." Then make the most of that day - ask questions, be cheerful, offer to help out and then do so if they're ok with it. At the end of the day you can ask to come back if you want to. If they turn out to be jerks you're not committed, either. You may get to do a lot of things or it may be the type of clinic where they'd really rather you don't touch much; be accepting of it either way.

When I was trying to find my first vet clinic for shadowing, the resume I sent out was basically the same as the one I sent to colleges: I had my education, clubs I was in (in high school and college, since this was when I was a freshman), honors and awards. I also put under "relevant experience" my pet ownership (dogs and cats), horse ownership/riding experience, and the zoo volunteering I did for service hours in high school. It wasn't a lot, but that and a contact through my dad got me my first shadowing opportunity, and I could build up my resume from there.

Thanks for the resume tips. I've only had one job, and that was basically a job doing nothing but scanning paperwork and filing (it was a work-study job I got at my college). I just couldn't see how that would "benefit" my resume, but I suppose it's better than nothing at all. I used to volunteer at the Humane Society so I guess I could put that on there as well. The only thing I think they might have a problem with is the fact that I can only volunteer during the summer.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

Would you want someone to dress nicely when they showed up to ask? Would you want to see a resume and/or cover letter detailing that person's background? (Hint: Yes and yes. No need to go full-on interview clothes, though - just look nice, ya know?).

So don't wear a skirt made of bandannas and an awkward looking tube top while handing out your resume. And maybe wash your hair.

(true story yo)

So don't wear a skirt made of bandannas and an awkward looking tube top while handing out your resume. And maybe wash your hair.

(true story yo)

and maybe also don't call yourself a "thick diva" on your resume?

(also true story)

I think you should put yourself in their shoes and ask what you'd want. Would you want someone to dress nicely when they showed up to ask? Would you want to see a resume and/or cover letter detailing that person's background? (Hint: Yes and yes. No need to go full-on interview clothes, though - just look nice, ya know?)

If you have access to transportation I personally would go to them in person. The flip side is that it costs more to drive all over, and you can hit up more clinics if you just do it on the phone. Pick your poison. In general I think you'll have more luck in person, but there are good arguments either way.

Don't neglect your circle of contacts. Ask your family and friends what vets they know, and what they think of them. You might be surprised. My first shadowing gig came from a study partner in undergrad who was distantly related to a vet. I still spend time at that clinic and love it there. Hoping to get a job there after school.

My usual advice is to tell people to ask if they can shadow for a day. Don't start out asking for a long-term gig because they're more likely to hesitate and not want to commit, whereas one day ... no big deal. In their minds they're going to think "Sure, why not? If we can't stand having her around we won't do it again." Then make the most of that day - ask questions, be cheerful, offer to help out and then do so if they're ok with it. At the end of the day you can ask to come back if you want to. If they turn out to be jerks you're not committed, either. You may get to do a lot of things or it may be the type of clinic where they'd really rather you don't touch much; be accepting of it either way.

Personally, I like the one day advice, although I have not heard of this before. Sounds like a great way to get your foot on the door to make a good impression. I know it sounds like more work for little gain, but it a way to get into a place that might not otherwise consider you. Good idea LIS!

When I was looking for volunteer experience I started calling and visiting clinics in my area. One day when I had my guinea pig at the vet, I asked to speak with the office manager. I explained what my goals were and that I needed volunteer experience. He more than gladly fulfilled the request. I volunteered for a few weeks and then was offered a full time job. I've been working there for a year this month. I hope you find the experience just as easily. Good luck! :)

When I was looking for volunteer experience I started calling and visiting clinics in my area. One day when I had my guinea pig at the vet, I asked to speak with the office manager. I explained what my goals were and that I needed volunteer experience. He more than gladly fulfilled the request. I volunteered for a few weeks and then was offered a full time job. I've been working there for a year this month. I hope you find the experience just as easily. Good luck! :)

That's not a bad idea, although the pets that I do own are all up-to-date on everything, so I'd really have no reason to bring them in. Also, this is only for the summer. If they were to offer me a job, I'd have to decline because I go back to school in August, and it's about a 3 hour drive from home.