Volunteering or Shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khristich00

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering, do med schools look at both of these equally? Or does one have anymore weight than another? The reason I ask this is because I have volunteered in a hospital and I didn't get that much out of it. Recently, I have had the opportunity to shadow 2 docs, one being an osteopathic surgeon and it was just the most amazing thing, it really hyped me up about medicine. The suregeon I was with let me go into the OR with him, let me scrub, and even let prep the patient a little bit. I got to watch a total knee replacement and watch him put a plate into someone's ankle.

I'm thinking about giving up on the volunteer thing and just going with him all the time. I just wonder how med schools will look at this, being that I'll have spent more time shadowing than volunteering?

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I think volunteering could be an equally beneficial experience, although it depends WHERE you do it. I volunteered at a clinic in an underserved area and was able to do everything. I think if you don't get anything out of volunteering where you are then med schools will see that. Instead maybe you could find a different place to volunteer, because I still think it's a good experience for all premeds to have.

But then again, one or the other would prob be ok....I can't imagine shadowing and volunteering at the same time. Do what you get the most out of.

Well both your volunteering and your shadowing have been clinical experience. I'd go with the one that actually gets you the best clincial exposure, as you're inclined to do. But there's other kinds of vounteering, like helping out by mentoring/tutoring underprivileged groups or other types of community service, and I think adcoms like to see some of that on apps too. And Dr. Foxy's right, you don't have to do them at the same time.