Tawantinsuyu

Removed
Jan 17, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I don't have a job while I am in school. I feel that it would cause my grade to drop. I do work whenever I am home. I am trying to get volunteer positions, but whenever I do, my parents get mad because they think it is unimportant. They say that unrelated volunteering will not help with graduate/med school. How important is volunteering, really?

claduva94

2+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Very. You are interested in a profession where you have to give a lot to others. Volunteering is a great way to demonstrate this willingness.

Reactions: Osteoth and ciestar

Graywolf

7+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2011
Northwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
More important than working or volunteering is growing up. Sounds like working or volunteering will help you with that. You're not grown up until you make your own choices. Who cares what your parents think? Why not work AND volunteer?

Last edited:

nokia stuff

5+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Go with the volunteering! I had a similar dilemma and decided to go with volunteering. So much more fun and feels better than having pocket cash. I would only suggest working if you need the money for food, house rent, bills, etc. I choose to volunteer and would not give it up to make pocket change. It is a long shot, but maybe you can get a job at a hospital. I tried but no luck.

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I don't have a job while I am in school. I feel that it would cause my grade to drop. I do work whenever I am home. I am trying to get volunteer positions, but whenever I do, my parents get mad because they think it is unimportant. They say that unrelated volunteering will not help with graduate/med school. How important is volunteering, really?
Why does what your parents think matter?
If you read anywhere on SDN, volunteering matters A LOT. It's your future, so stand up for yourself and do what you need to do to make it happen.

OP
Tawantinsuyu

Tawantinsuyu

Removed
Jan 17, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Why does what your parents think matter?
If you read anywhere on SDN, volunteering matters A LOT. It's your future, so stand up for yourself and do what you need to do to make it happen.
Because my parents are helping me pay for school, and they are paying my car bills (even though I don't have my car to use)

mysdnhandle

Joe the Plumber
Removed
Jun 21, 2014
Working: you get money
Volunteering: you don't get money

You make the choice based on your economic situation.

Is volunteering good for med school? Yes. Is it required? if it's clinical, yes. Are there clinical jobs out there? Yes.

Are you doing what you are doing for your parents? Hell no

Reactions: ciestar

mysdnhandle

Joe the Plumber
Removed
Jun 21, 2014
Because my parents are helping me pay for school, and they are paying my car bills (even though I don't have my car to use)
Your parents are helping you pay for school not deciding what you do or don't do. If they are using that as leverage to tell you what to do, you have to decide if their $$ is worth you deciding what's best for you. Eventually you'll have to cut the cord, just keep that in mind.

allantois

5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2013
Status
Other Health Professions Student
You absolutely need to volunteer. There's no justifiable excuse for not volunteering your time.

Reactions: ciestar

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Okay, I understand that….
However, you must make them understand what reality is here. Even if they don't buy what you're saying, you have to somehow make it happen.

Eppur Si Muove

And yet, it moves
5+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Honestly do what you feel is best for you, but I have spoken with multiple adcoms from medical and medical professional schools that told me they expect quality volunteer experience and won't even consider your application if you have zero volunteer experience.