Volunteering Overseas??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeyman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on where to find volunteer opportunities for med students? I would like to do some type of surgical volunteer work. Soon to be 4th year MD student and I have a lot of free time.

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

monkeyman said:
Any advice on where to find volunteer opportunities for med students? I would like to do some type of surgical volunteer work. Soon to be 4th year MD student and I have a lot of free time.

Thanks for any help.

You can try this link http://www.snma.org/index.html
They go to some of the refugee camps in africa. My school also goes to the refugee camps but I think you have to be a student to participate.

I hope to go to one of the refugee camps before I graduate. As far as sugery work, I'm not sure that they do surgery while at the refugee camps. Mostly, they see patients treat conditions that are non-invasive and send the major cases to the local hospitals. Since my school is an african medical school, we do have rotations in african hospitals, however, again you must be a student to participate. I will try to keep my eyes open for other volunteer work.

Sorry if I can't be any help. However, the SNMA is a go place to start looking for volunteer work in other countries.

Anyone who goes to a real medical school able to post on this? There have to be some people who've done rotations outside of the US. I searched for the medical missions section on this board but it wasn't of much help.

While I appreciate your post jasmine, isn't it pretty well established that St. Luke's is a fraud? Why are you wasting your time as well as ours with this junk? Look into it. You can't be a doctor by taking classes over the internet. There are no two ways about it. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent some time in Africa working with UN and WHO. It is possible to do invasive work in Africa, just not through UN or WHO. Look into your University Hospital system. There are always a few attendings who do pro bono missions to Africa or S America and take students with them.

Word of advice. If you set this up for yourself, make sure you take care of all immunization shots before hand.... DO NOT leave it for the last moment... there are protocols that have to be followed if your shots are to provide you adequate protection. Immigration laws in Africa mandate that you are appropriately immunized for everything under the sun and then some before they let you into the country, but to tell you the truth no one checks your immuno card, so it is up to you to protect yourself... and please do not take this lightly. Also, make sure you visit your dentist as well, trust me you do not want to end up with dental problems there.

Check out AMSA's website and IFMSA-USA http://www.ifmsa-usa.org/. If you join IFMSA-USA you'll be up on a listserv and recieve emails regarding international oppotunites available from their foriegn branches. Their are also exchange opportunites available.

Unite For Sight has international internships for college and med students: www.uniteforsight.org. They go to India, Thailand, Benin, Ghana, Uganda and Tanzania.

monkeyman said:
Anyone who goes to a real medical school able to post on this? There have to be some people who've done rotations outside of the US. I searched for the medical missions section on this board but it wasn't of much help.

While I appreciate your post jasmine, isn't it pretty well established that St. Luke's is a fraud? Why are you wasting your time as well as ours with this junk? Look into it. You can't be a doctor by taking classes over the internet. There are no two ways about it. Sorry to burst your bubble.

This was totally uncalled for. You ask for advised and I gave you advised based upon what I know. Regardless of what school I go to or if you agree with it or not, what school I attend shouldn't stop you from sharing experiences with someone if what they have something real to say.

I've already made it known that SLUSOM is no fruad. However, you think what you want to think. After all your entitled to it. My only mistake was thinking that I could share my experience with you which you surely have proven that I can't. That's the only waste of my time and yours.

Happy journey.

Jasminegab said:
You can try this link http://www.snma.org/index.html
They go to some of the refugee camps in africa. My school also goes to the refugee camps but I think you have to be a student to participate.

I hope to go to one of the refugee camps before I graduate. As far as sugery work, I'm not sure that they do surgery while at the refugee camps. Mostly, they see patients treat conditions that are non-invasive and send the major cases to the local hospitals. Since my school is an african medical school, we do have rotations in african hospitals, however, again you must be a student to participate. I will try to keep my eyes open for other volunteer work.

Sorry if I can't be any help. However, the SNMA is a go place to start looking for volunteer work in other countries.

refugee camps? last time i checked SNMA did African medical mission trips to Ghana(since 2001) and Nigeria(started 2004). I did the SNMA Nigerian one this yr and it wasnt a refugee camp but a small town. The Nigerian one is done in collaboration with Drs for a United med mission (www.healingdrumm.org) and we did clinical stuff, surgeries and all as well as HIV awareness programs. Awesome experience. Do a search on here with my name and mission trip, I talked about it.

www.imva.org

I post this not for you but for anyone else who might pass through this thread. Your response to someone trying to help you is embarrasing. Get a life :thumbup:

lotanna said:
refugee camps? last time i checked SNMA did African medical mission trips to Ghana(since 2001) and Nigeria(started 2004). I did the SNMA Nigerian one this yr and it wasnt a refugee camp but a small town. The Nigerian one is done in collaboration with Drs for a United med mission (www.healingdrumm.org) and we did clinical stuff, surgeries and all as well as HIV awareness programs. Awesome experience. Do a search on here with my name and mission trip, I talked about it.

Sorry, I have not joined this organization yet I plan to, thus I did not read the website properly, my mistake....

I do plan on joining SNMA someday just because I like what they stand for. I love being an African-American.