Volunteering question, what is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What volunteering position do you think is better?

• Total voters

Faefly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I volunteer at the hospital at the front desk. I greet people and patients and show them around. I like where I am now; my job is fun I get to walk a lot and meet new people.
My pre-health advisor, he said this is not what Dental schools are looking for. They want you to get more involved with the patients.
I asked the volunteering office , and they offered other positions:( either one of these)

• Labor and Delivery nursing (inside hospital)
  • Palliative care unit reception area w/eldedry patients (inside hospital)
  • a third option is to work with kids, in a day care related to the hospital!( I am not keen on taking that)

Cons:
  • if I worked in any of first two units, I'd be confined to that area with again no direct exposure to patients. Just answering phones, doing clerical duties, running errands to staff, and greetings or giving snacks to patients.
  • Plus the new positions' shift endd at night, and it's winter and the hospital is not in a safe location.

So what do you think, is it worth it to change my old position? I need to answer them by Monday.

P.s: I do volunteering at museums and other places.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not important. What you are doing is the definition of patient interaction. You are greeting them, helping them and interacting with them. Stay where you are.

Reactions: 3 users
My pre-health advisor, he said

This is where I stopped reading. Pre-health advisors don't always give the best advice.

Seriously, do what you enjoy. My interviewers didn't even touch on most of my volunteering experience, and when they did, it was along the lines of "What volunteering activity did you find most meaningful, and why?"

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What you're doing is completely fine and great experience.

Not important. What you are doing is the definition of patient interaction. You are greeting them, helping them and interacting with them. Stay where you are.
Thank you so much. I was afraid that dental schools expect more.

if i listened to my pre-health's advisors' advice back in June I would still be putting together my dental school application instead of choosing between dental schools that I was accepted to 1.5 weeks ago. These people are professionals, but sometimes they don't give the best advice.
just my $.02.

Reactions: 1 user
This is where I stopped reading. Pre-health advisors don't always give the best advice.

Seriously, do what you enjoy. My interviewers didn't even touch on most of my volunteering experience, and when they did, it was along the lines of "What volunteering activity did you find most meaningful, and why?"

Thank you for your input, it's reassuring to read this. My advisor was a nice , but yeah some of the things he said made me doubt myself.