Volunteering Question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks17

"First Pakistani-American Surgeon General?"
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so this Fall I'm volunteering for Hospice, is this considered clinical or non clinical volenteering? Also I am starting a Fundraiser for the Kids in Syria I am only doing this for awareness and from the kindness of my heart but would this show any significance on my Resume? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hospice volunteering is clinical if you are dealing with the patient - e.g. providing companionship, activities, etc. Don't worry about whether your other activity will impact your resume and how med schools look at you. Do it for yourself and you'll be fine.

Thanks, Would the fundraising be considered a positive I don't want to flare a political agenda

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Would the fundraising be considered a positive I don't want to flare a political agenda
Fund raising for international concerns will be viewed less positively than hands-on service to those in need in the US. You'd do better to spin it as a leadership activity than as a non-medical volunteer gig, if you decide to proceed.
Hospice volunteering is clinical if you are dealing with the patient - e.g. providing companionship, activities, etc. Don't worry about whether your other activity will impact your resume and how med schools look at you. Do it for yourself and you'll be fine.
I agree with this. If your primary purpose is to run errands, clean house, and do laundry/cook, it would not be "clinical."

Stop worrying about appearing "politically-correct." You should be doing these activities because you are passionate about it - and in that case, you wouldn't have to worry about the politics of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice everyone!