Volunteering question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sprinkibrio

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, due to some rules at the hospital I volunteer at, my supervisors won't give me their phone numbers or email addresses. They could also just not give a damn about me... but we'll ignore that for now. A lot of times I can't volunteer (travel, sick, interviews, things pop up) and I have no way to tell them. Am I losing respect by the minute when I don't go? I really do feel like they don't give a damn if I'm there or not--I'm not under any supervision, so what I do is all self-saught out--so what kind of attendence do they expect? Should I work harder to arrange my travel around the volunteering, because I've lost all hope in letting them know in advance when I'm not coming...

Members don't see this ad.

This is a question for the SDN personal problem helpline lounge. Wait, do we have that? Is this a pre-med question. :sleep:

This is a question for the SDN personal problem helpline lounge. Wait, do we have that? Is this a pre-med question. :sleep:

Um, I don't know where else you would put it. Hospital... volunteering... extremely pre-med activity... You would think some pre-meds would have some advice. Just because I'm already in doesn't mean what I'm doing now isn't important.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a question for the volunteer coordinators you're having trouble getting in touch with.

isn't there a volunteer coordinator? you could tell them. There has to be some sort of a phone number, because how did you originally sign up to be a volunteer? If you've already been accepted to a med school, I wouldn't really worry about not showing up. I know how useless volunteering at the hospital can be. they don;t notice you're there, and when they do, they give you crap work to do.