Volunteering vs Paid Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kuba

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it adequate to have an application that has virtually no volunteer or community service experiences but has plenty of research, clinical paid work, leadership positions, shadowing? I saw someone post about "not being able to get in w/o volunteer" but I assumed they just meant clinical and didnt want to hijack the other thread.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have clinical experience, that is what they are looking for. I think they are also maybe looking for the philantropic side too, giving back to communities, blah blah blah. What are you too good to do community service? ;)

I jest. Sometimes its hard to fit everything in. I totally understand.

Yea, i would love to do something for my community, but with all the other premed stuff and being an RA in the dorms, i have no time for that. But thanks, that is what I thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well maybe you are doing stuff that you don't realize. Such as you are an RA, you get paid for it but that is still a service to your university and you reach out to your residents. Stuff like that. You are just smart to be getting PAID for all your requirements. Pffff - n need for you to volunteer!!!

What about clubs or activities on campus too? Those are other goodies :)

mshheaddoc said:
Well maybe you are doing stuff that you don't realize. Such as you are an RA, you get paid for it but that is still a service to your university and you reach out to your residents. Stuff like that. You are just smart to be getting PAID for all your requirements. Pffff - n need for you to volunteer!!!

What about clubs or activities on campus too? Those are other goodies :)

I even get paid for my research, lol. Yea, i did a program where I brought around high school students to my classes to see what it is like to be a college student. I never thought of that as community service tho, more like an extracurricular.

well can't they be one and the same? Its an extra activity but its a community service in some way. ;) But you can only use it in one catagory though. Sorry :p

But even the little things like that do take up your time and should be accounted for!

Clinical experience is clinical experience, whether you get paid or not. If you do it as your job, then you are getting a lot more experience than as an occasional volunteer.

Paid....not paid...it's still experience.