Volunteering with Abortion Fund

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

potatopotaaaato

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been presented with the opportunity to do some volunteer work with an abortion fund in my state. I was wondering if that type of activity should be left off of applications because of the divisiveness surrounding abortion access. I have enough volunteer hours without this so I wouldn't be hurting myself by leaving it out, but I do feel that it would give me some interesting talking points for interviews, etc.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was an abortion doula and I'm *not* leaving it off my application. I also have enough hours outside of it, but it was important work and important to my story of my journey to medicine. I figure if that's too controversial for a school, they aren't the right fit for me anyway.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
Hi All,

I've been presented with the opportunity to do some volunteer work with an abortion fund in my state. I was wondering if that type of activity should be left off of applications because of the divisiveness surrounding abortion access. I have enough volunteer hours without this so I wouldn't be hurting myself by leaving it out, but I do feel that it would give me some interesting talking points for interviews, etc.

Thanks!

i dont see the point in leaving it off. If it’s something you like doing then leave it. A good bit of my application will focus on reproductive justice (including abortion). I agree if a med school has an issue with it then they may not be the best fit for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your input. I agree that a school that has an issue with abortion care would not be a great fit for me and that this type of volunteering represents something that I truly am passionate about.

Hi All,

Thanks!
Do it and simply do not apply to LUCOM and Loma Linda.

Reactions: 2 users
I have yet to hear that abortion is an issue with the Jesuit schools. Bets to inquire int he school-specific threads

To my knowledge none of them do elective abortions (mine did not). But I don’t think any med students or residents are ever screened out/discriminated against based on having abortion-work experience. I had classmates who worked in reproductive rights clinics/research affiliated with other nearby schools. The “discrimination” though is likely reversed here-the Jesuit schools are unlikely to deny students/residents interested in reproductive rights, but those students/residents may themselves self select to separate programs that allow them more/any exposure.

I would still be careful about the experience in interviews. Many physicians see abortions as going against the hippocratic oath, and many obviously have religious/ethical opposition to abortions. So it’s probably important, like any other hot-button topic, to read the room.

I would imagine applicants with clear interests in reproductive rights are more likely to be paired with faculty interviewers with similar interests, seeing as the school wants to sell you on their program.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello, volunteering is very cool, it's hard for me to imagine what kind of experience you got.. I would like to try it too, especially after I read Argumentative Essay on Abortion - Free Examples of Persuasive Essays and Research Papers about Abortion in Essays. You go and also study all the aspects of the pros and cons, legality, testing, the opinion of professionals and many very important things to be ready for everything in the future. I wish everyone health and think with a cool head!

Last edited:
Hello, volunteering is very cool, it's hard for me to imagine what kind of experience you got.. I would like to try it too, especially after I read Argumentative Essay on Abortion - Free Examples of Persuasive Essays and Research Papers about Abortion in Essays. You go and also study all the aspects of the pros and cons, legality, testing, the opinion of professionals and many very important things to be ready for everything in the future. I wish everyone health and think with a cool head!
I generally recommend against using your actual personal information here, it’s really meant to be an anonymous forum