annmarie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
hey guys,
I am new at SDN and wanted your help. I am a freshmen at a community college and I am planning to pursue Dentistry once I go to grad school. I have a question regarding the importance of volunteering in this field. I will be doing Undergraduate research next semester that is spring '09, and I also have an opportunity to do internship for research in the summer. I know research is a very important thing if I want to go into a health field, but I am also planning to go to my native country during the summer and do some volunteering work in the rural part. Now I can only do one of the above things, and I do not know which one is more important volunteering work or research. Which one of the above two will look more impressive for undergrad and grad school. Thanks I appreciate all the comments and ideas.

dent2009

YEEE BOI
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
hey guys,
I am new at SDN and wanted your help. I am a freshmen at a community college and I am planning to pursue Dentistry once I go to grad school. I have a question regarding the importance of volunteering in this field. I will be doing Undergraduate research next semester that is spring '09, and I also have an opportunity to do internship for research in the summer. I know research is a very important thing if I want to go into a health field, but I am also planning to go to my native country during the summer and do some volunteering work in the rural part. Now I can only do one of the above things, and I do not know which one is more important volunteering work or research. Which one of the above two will look more impressive for undergrad and grad school. Thanks I appreciate all the comments and ideas.
You're only a freshman so you should have plenty of time/opportunity to do both research and volunteer before you apply. If you want to go to a more research focused school then concentrate more on that than volunteering. But make sure to do some dental shadowing/volunteering at some point.

About the Ads