Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrueDoc1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 2nd year premed student and i was wondering if volunteering in say Optholmology department would interfere with getting into medical school if i change my mind and want to become say Primary Care Physician. Wouldn't the question "Why did you volunteer in Optholmology if you want to be Physician" appear on the Interview? In other words, i won't be able to say that my "childhood dream" was to be a Physician if i valunteered in Optholmology.

Members don't see this ad.

I don?t think it would matter if you volunteered in Optholmology. You could just say that was a volunteering program that fell in your lap and was the most available to you.

Perhaps you could say that you love the field of medicine so much that you just had to try everything!
biggrin.gif

------------------
**To Know is to Understand**

Members don't see this ad :)
There's nothing wrong w/ exploring different fields of medicine. Go for it!

DJ is absolutely correct. Explore your interests and be true to yourself. I know that sounds hokey, but don't get caught up in trying to outthink the adcomms and play games - they have seen enough apps and done enough interviews that they will recognize both sincerity and BS a mile away.

If you discover that Ophthalmology is not for you, great, you can move on to something else. You have plenty of time between now and your interviews to explore other specialties and learn. Your interest and pursuit will be seen as a plus, not a minus.

Someone who thinks they knew primary care was for them while in their first trimester will not have a leg up on you -- don't worry.

smile.gif

Saying that being a Dr was your childhood dream isn't really a good thing to tell admissions anyways. They want to hear that your decision and motivation to practice medicine is the result of a mature mind that has carefully thought this crucial choice out.

i agree with joe D on this one, adcoms really don't like to hear about any 'childhood dreams'. bottom line- any exposure to healthcare is considered valuable on an application. i think that most committees are aware that many premeds aren't sure of which area of medicine they are most interested in.

Originally posted by TrueDoc1:
I'm a 2nd year premed student

are you joking? i have never heard anyone calling him/herself as "2nd year" >premed< student.

What else should a person say if they're a second year student who is a premed? This is a premed forum!
wink.gif

You're a premed college sophomore.

Right?

Unless his/her college has a premed major, it just sounds funny. do you ever hear anyone call him/herself as "prenurse," "preengineer" second year student?

of course, i am just trying to say that it sounds funny, that is all.

The important thing is that TrueDoc received some volunteer experience in the health care industry. And that the person is premed.