1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
  2. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

VR: 10 min/passage with higher accuracy, vs. 8.5 min/passage low accuracy...???

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Hands4Surgery, Aug 30, 2012.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Hands4Surgery

Hands4Surgery 5+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Ok. I am faced with the following situation:

I am consistently taking a shot at all passages of the VR section, scoring a 6, and blowing 2 or 3 questions per passage due to rushing due to time limitations (shooting at 8.5 min per passage)

I noticed that if I had a bit more time, I would have been able to solve correctly the some of the 2 or 3 questions per passage that I missed.

Question. Has anybody tried guessing 100% on one passage (hopefully the worst), and been able to gain ~2 min per passage, improving highly in accuracy and and improving score?

based on calculations (I have not tried it).... If I guess 100% of one passage (assuming zero correct answers in the guessed passage), and I improve in accuracy such that I only get 1 incorrect question per passage (1 wrong per passage x 6 = 6 more incorrect answers, for a total of 13 incorrect answers total for the section [6+7 from the guessed passage]).
    This would immediately put me around an 8 in score!

Has anybody tried this and been able to achieve a substantial score increase?

Thank you!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. CaribbeanBlue

CaribbeanBlue 2+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2011
    I have personally tried this and I feel like it isn't the most reliable because your score ends up fluctuating based on the last passage.

If you can consistently find yourself getting none or one wrong per passage with 10 minutes then go for it.

For someone like me, who even if given 15 minutes, still can't comprehend some of the passages based on language used, would still get one or two wrong usually benefits from finishing the test regardless and getting 1-2 wrong per passage. The 8's and 9's I have pulled have been from that method and everytime I guess on a last passage I get a 6.

I feel like the difference between 8.5 to 10 minutes per passage doesn't make THAT much of a difference for me. Sometimes it backfires and makes you feel less rushed so you don't go as fast.