VR 6, then 7, and then 8???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wblack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances to an MD as well as DO school if those are my VR scores? I wish to get into NJ schools (NJMS/RWJMS).

GPA:3.95, science: 4.0
MCAT:
2010 - 30Q - 12PS, 6VR, 12BS
28Q - 11PS, 7VR, 10BS
2012 - 31Q - 10PS, 8VR, 13BS

EC:
Biology society
Premed society
Shadow 4 MDs for 80 hours
volunteer at foodbank for 55 hours
volunteer at community library 55 hours
work in hospital lab (blood tests) at umdnj for 3 years
summer research in immunology
paid research in ecology/evolution for 3 years
I might start hospital volunteering this month if all goes well.

Members don't see this ad.

What are my chances to an MD as well as DO school if those are my VR scores? I wish to get into NJ schools (NJMS/RWJMS).

GPA:3.95, science: 4.0
MCAT:
2010 - 30Q - 12PS, 6VR, 12BS
28Q - 11PS, 7VR, 10BS
2012 - 31Q - 10PS, 8VR, 13BS

EC:
Biology society
Premed society
Shadow 4 MDs for 80 hours
volunteer at foodbank for 55 hours
volunteer at community library 55 hours
work in hospital lab (blood tests) at umdnj for 3 years
summer research in immunology
paid research in ecology/evolution for 3 years
I might start hospital volunteering this month if all goes well.
Did you call your in-state schools and ask them how they regard multiple MCAT scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you call your in-state schools and ask them how they regard multiple MCAT scores?
They will take the latest scores and they profess that they do not have a cutoff for low sectional scores.
Will 4th MCAT do?

I think your chances are decent with the current MCAT score. I don't suggest retaking.

Thanks, but is there anything I can do now that will increase my chances of acceptance. VR 8 is a tough catch. I will be shadowing few docs as well and I will be volunteering at a local hospital in the upcoming weeks. (I couldn't volunteer at UMDNJ since it is my place of employment and they have laws that prohibit this.)

Doesn't your employment in the lab require some patient interaction? I thought you were suggesting that you were a phlebotomist. Your shadowing is already excellent. Leadership and teaching also strengthen an application.
I did about 40 hours at an outpatient center at hospital that is separate from my work experience. But at work, occasionally, we draw blood but for much of the time, we are in the lab doing blood tests or providing blood in the blood bank. Since this is a teaching hospital, occasionally, med students and residents visit the lab to discuss patient cases where they need clarification on results or want to review blood smears, etc.

Doesn't your employment in the lab require some patient interaction? I thought you were suggesting that you were a phlebotomist. Your shadowing is already excellent. Leadership and teaching also strengthen an application.
I did about 40 hours phlebotomy at an outpatient center at hospital that is separate from my work experience. But at work, occasionally, we draw blood but for much of the time, we are in the lab doing blood tests or providing blood in the blood bank. Since this is a teaching hospital, occasionally, med students and residents visit the lab to discuss patient cases where they need clarification on results or want to review blood smears, etc.

From your understanding of your state schools' expectations, do you think you have enough clinical experience to be considered competitive by adcomms? Or do you think it would be better to wait another year until you have some solid experience with the hospital volunteering? And maybe add some of the other activities I brought up?

From your understanding of your state schools' expectations, do you think you have enough clinical experience to be considered competitive by adcomms? Or do you think it would be better to wait another year until you have some solid experience with the hospital volunteering? And maybe add some of the other activities I brought up?
The clinical experience is OK to validate my interest in going to medicine. The foodbank/library volunteering are OK as I am still doing them.But my only concern would be hospital volunteering (medical related volunteering) since I have none and I am unsure if it is wise to take off a year to do just that since I will be starting it soon. Some students I have seen have around 75-100 hours which I can accrue in 3-4 months by the time I interview. Others have no medical related volunteering, which makes the situation all the more perplexing. Since I have already taken a year off, I really want to apply this year.
EDIT: I applied once previously without any volunteering and shadowing for only 20 hours. They suggested to get more clinical experience.

Most med schools are happy with any clinical experience whether it be due to employment or volunteering (or clinical research). Be sure to emphasize those phlebotomy activities when you describe what your work entails.
Thanks for your feedbank, I really appreciate it. I will continue volunteering activities and try to create a good personal statement. Surprisingly, I had trouble with MCAT, more trouble that I imagined but I will try to improve other parts of my app.

I'm glad you are also continuing with the library and foodbank, as nonmedical community service, on its own, also strengthens an application, and many schools are specifically looking for that, too. If a chance should come up to take on a leadership role within one of those organizations (scheduling, training, organizing, etc.), take it.