Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

VR and AAMC Online Practice tests ....

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by mshheaddoc, Apr 17, 2007.

1. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Wild west of Mistytown
    I know there was some debate about this earlier. AAMC now has 7 paragraphs per passage if I remember correctly. Are the practice tests you're taking reflect this (if you have purchased them from AAMC or from Kaplan/TPR). I'm practicing on some old FL right now to practice my technique (I need it :oops: ) but I was going to purchase 4-10 if it made sense that the VR format has changed. If not I have old copies from friends of 4-8 that I was going to use to practice with and buy 7,8,9,10 as my timed tests.

So ... what's the story on the e-mcat.com VR section? SPILL IT! :D

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012 10+ Year Member

All I know is the real thing had like 29894948 paragraphs per passage. LoL, not really but they were significantly longer than any others Ive seen.

4. mshheaddoc

Apr 24, 2002
    Wild west of Mistytown
    Did you get practice tests from e-mcat.com?

5. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012 10+ Year Member

Yup. I took 3-10 as well as a few kaplan ones. IMO, the question style was the same, but the passages were long and a couple were just mindnumbing. <term used by somebody else, but it was very accurate. lol

6. mshheaddoc

Apr 24, 2002
    Wild west of Mistytown
    But the passages on e-mcat were not the 7 paragraph ones? Or were they the old format? That is my question.

7. meddoc1

meddoc1 2+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2007
    What is the e-mcat.com. do they have free verbal exam?

8. HippocratesX

HippocratesX Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2002
    lol

9. lifeistough

lifeistough

Sep 10, 2005
    Ma'am,

AAMC has recently converted their Full lengths 3-9 (10 was released as shortened) to reflect the new changes to the MCAT. That is, they are all shortened, which would include the changes to 7 passages on verbal, as opposed to the 9 passages in the past. AAMC understands the importance of practicing under similar test questions, and so have revised their inventory to reflect those changes. Each exam must be purchased individually, at 35.00 dollars. Currently, there is no bundle deal.

Someone else asked if there was verbal practice on www.e-mcat.com? Yes, but you can't purchase solely verbal, each full shortened CBT contains a verbal section. You may customize upon purchase to take solely just a section exam. Some students find this helpful, if they are in a time sensitive environment. But do set aside as many as often for sitting through the 4 or so hours. It would be helpful to use the free 3 CBT as a diagnostic tool, and use time to concentrate on those weaknesses before moving on to the next CBT. If money is an issue, using this option will provide time for the next purchase.

Best regards.

10. lifeistough

lifeistough

Sep 10, 2005
    For those that are new and would want the most accurate facts about the current MCAT and regulations of testing center, to thoroughly seek out AAMC responses on such issues on www.aamc.org as well as www.e-mcat.com where students can find all the information required to getting started.

I, myself, found it helpful to attain information from those who were handing out the policies for the MCAT. This kind of retrieval will be most accurate in terms of keeping up to date on current changes and events.

Best Regards.

11. mshheaddoc

Apr 24, 2002
    Wild west of Mistytown
    Thanks for the answer.

12. HippocratesX

HippocratesX Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2002
    7 paragraphs per passage, is different then 9 passages shortened to 7 passages to reflect the new CBT. I thought you were asking about paragraphs and not passages, since most people were recently complaining about the length of EACH verbal passage?

13. lifeistough

lifeistough

Sep 10, 2005
    I found this site and it has helped me. On the top of page you can click forum to see more topics explained.

http://www.mcat-prep.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

I read the explanations someone has posted, it helps sum up my studying. They also encourage others to post their explanations. I found it very helpful, so I wanted you to know about it, too.

14. .surgical.

.surgical. Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 16, 2006
    out
    e-mcat.com contains the shortened versions of all sections, including verbal.

The actual MCAT on April 12th did not reflect the AAMC mcat that appear on e-mcat.com.... As we April 12th'ers all know, the passages were at least twice as long on the real thing as they were on the AAMC practice exams. Most people had their pacing severely screwed up (DIVERDOC and MYSELF included) due to the increase in passage length, so adjust accordingly while taking the AAMC practices.

15. mshheaddoc

Apr 24, 2002
    Wild west of Mistytown
    Ok that is what I thought and was asking. I thought they only had like 4 or 5 paragraphs (in the old versions of the practice tests that I have) and nwo its suppoed to be like 7. So that would screw you up! Why don't they do the full length in practice"? THAT SUCKS.

16. lifeistough

lifeistough

Sep 10, 2005
    Some students taking GS CBT verbals reported that they felt the passages were longer than usual. Dr. Ferdinand took the time and laid it out with the number of words for each chapter. Some were 634ish, others 548ish, etc. averaging around 600 words per passage.

Policies for AAMC MCAT are strictly carried out. For example, it is national policy that while taking the CBT at your test center, that proctors obey the AAMC policy and walk around the test room every 8-10 minutes or so. Others have posted being written up just due to a failure to obey AAMC policies and test centers which has to carried out. With this said, the AAMC published MCAT essentials to detail the specifics of the CBT MCAT which is in effect. On page 5 of 21, the AAMC states in their report:

"The test consists of seven passages. Each passage is about 600 words long, taken from the humanities and social sciences, and from areas of the natural sciences. Each passage-based set consists of 5 to 7 questions."

Under their statement, please note "about" but the average will be very close to 600 words. Try imagining cutting part of a sentence to make it 600 exact for each one, instead of 612 to finish the main point of the passage. Impossible.

Then, what can I expect? Expect that the AAMC will continue to remain truthful to you and that on average it will be about 600 for the whole 7 lot. With the time alloted, some passages will cancel each other out. You can be certain that the time alloted is fairly given to finish all the passages.

I found this very helpful:

http://www.mcat-prep.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=439

It is the last post on that page. I hope that person's comment will clarify any confusion. It has helped me.