1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

VR Help - Choosing between 2 Answer Choices

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by joshto, May 26, 2008.

1. joshto

joshto Nervous&Neurotic
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I seem to be able to narrow my answer choices down to the two "best" options (as described by the EK 101 book) and I continually seem to be getting the questions wrong. Can anyone provide advice on how to decide between two seemingly good answer choices?

2. JA Prufrock

JA Prufrock Serenity Now!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't think there is a silver bullet to selecting the right answer choice, but I feel your pain, because I tend to have similar trouble. Ideally, you will have read the passage with enough understanding that the correct answer choice jumps out at you. Work on your reading comprehension, and be an active reader while reading the passages. When you get to the questions and are deciding between two, look for something--anything--that can lead you to eliminate one of the choices (generally its something very subtle). Overall, just keep practicing.

3. Chuck's Right Foot

Chuck's Right Foot Class of 2013
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    There is a specific reason one of the answers is wrong. If I had to choose between two answers I would try and view them for why they were wrong, not why they could be correct.

4. bozz

2+ Year Member

I feel like you still implicitly do that in your head

5. joshto

joshto Nervous&Neurotic
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think my problem is that I need to recognize certain words in an answer choice. EK suggests that the correct answers should/will include softeners and the other answers will more so fit the profile of a 'distractor'. Anyone who uses EK Verbal agree?

6. The South Face

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What is EK's verbal strategy?

7. studiddy

10+ Year Member

Do what you are doing now. Narrow it down to two choices. Mentally pick one that you think is right. Select the other as your answer choice. Go to next question.

8. tncekm

tncekm MS-1
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You're likely doing what I do/did: selecting the "verbatim" answer choice from the passage which sounds right, but it wrong, falling for the "extreme" answer choices, or if it involves multiple assertions, not checking all of them!

One thing I ALWAYS do is that if I clearly recognize, say, 2/3 of the asssertions made, I'll assume the third one was thrown in there to "trick me". Well, the trick is on me b/c it usually turns out that if I would have confirmed it in the passage it would be there!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. joshto

joshto Nervous&Neurotic
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah. That is basically what I'm doing. The choice seems right (which it is not) and I select it for 2 reasons:
    1) I can't seem to eliminate it as an option

and

2)I am on the fence about the other option (which usually turns out to be the correct one).