VR: How do you read faster w/o compromising comprehension?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sicboy188

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My verbal score is has tremendous fluctuation (7-11) and I've noticed that my poor scores is due to rushing to stay on pace which invariably hinders my comprehension.

I know the requisite responds to these threads are 'with a lot of practice" and practice has helped me tremendously (ie anticipating the types of question that can and will be asked). I guess im wondering if anyone has their own technique that has helped them maintain the balance between speed and comprehension on this dubious section.

thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Practice with longer passages than the MCAT VR passages. I like The New Yorker. Usually a similar level of writing, but the articles are usually 5000-6000 words so you're forced to stay focused longer. Usually, IMHO, its not comprehension that fails its concentration / focus.

Have you tried going with the take a while reading, then answer the questions quickly? I used about 3.5 minutes to read through the passage once and I felt like I had enough time for the questions.

Make a ha bit of not re-reading anything you've already read. It should force you to stay focused and not waste time.