1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

VR keeps going up, PS/BS stagnant

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by vin5cent0, Jul 24, 2011.

1. vin5cent0

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm so extremely discouraged after my 4th AAMC FL today. Here's a synopsis of my scores:

6/26 #3 - 6 / 7 / 8 PS / VR / BS = 21

6/30 #4 - 9 / 10 / 10 PS / VR / BS = 29

7/17 #5 - 8 / 9 / 8 PS / VR / BS = 25 (ouch)

7/24 #7 - 8 / 10 / 8 PS / VR / BS = 26

#3 I did poorly due to little content review and tons of stupid errors that I seemingly corrected. On #4, after reviewing, I admitted to myself that I had a *lot* of lucky guesses and/or easier passages.

#5 kind of sucked, but I attributed that to the passages just pointing out my weaknesses. I really started hitting the books after that and was confident today (#7) would show a nice BS/PS improvement as I've been working hard on those specifically and had just finished all of the EK books.

I was really, really bummed today when I saw my VR went up one point and the other two didn't move. I'm not even sure what to do at this point as my test is in about 3 weeks, and I was so sure I would see ~10 in each of those sections. To see them not even go up a point was extremely disheartening as now I don't really expect them to go up more more than 8s. I'm not even sure what my problem is, none of the passages really confused me overly so (it seemed).

I have all of the EK + 1001 books, as well as the Kaplan 45 (not sure why I have that, those questions are insane). I've been reading the books diligently and not moving on until I understand concepts. Today was the first day I had finished every chapter in each EK book (and read some chapters more than once). Do some people just hit a "cap" and not improve?[​IMG] 8's are such crap

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vayntraubinator

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    K so first of all, aamc 7-11 are completely different than the first 5. AAMC 7 and 8 are very hard relatively.

You definitely improved, so relax. Look up and fill any gaps in knowledge from mcat-review.org. Make sure you know that site. And go over EK several times thoroughly. You'll be good. Just keep doing AAMCs and finish them. :)

4. vin5cent0

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'll look into it, thanks. I just can't imagine why my BS hasn't improved since day 1, and my PS has only gone up 2 points. I thought those were supposed to be the easiest to improve, and even after scouring the EK books, nada. It's just extremely frustrating because I felt like for once, since completing the EK books, I was remembering lots of extraneous bits of info on the last MCAT that was helping me a ton, and it didn't seem to do much. Guess I'll just keep plugging at it..

5. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You probably aren't doing a good enough job with your post-practice review. Also, while EK is good for people who have a strong foundation in their pre-reqs, EK might not be for you. I wouldn't recommend it for most people.

6. Swagster

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I second SN2ed. If something is not working for you, then switch to materials that are better for you.

For me, I like doing questions and learning from my mistakes, so I look for explanations that emphasize POE.

7. vin5cent0

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I did pretty well in the pre-reqs, aside from Ochem, which I'm finding little trouble with on the practice tests. I find EK to be relatively easy to understand and succinct.. just not sure why it's not sticking on the test.