1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

VR keeps going up, PS/BS stagnant

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by vin5cent0, Jul 24, 2011.

1. vin5cent0

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm so extremely discouraged after my 4th AAMC FL today. Here's a synopsis of my scores:

6/26 #3 - 6 / 7 / 8 PS / VR / BS = 21

6/30 #4 - 9 / 10 / 10 PS / VR / BS = 29

7/17 #5 - 8 / 9 / 8 PS / VR / BS = 25 (ouch)

7/24 #7 - 8 / 10 / 8 PS / VR / BS = 26

#3 I did poorly due to little content review and tons of stupid errors that I seemingly corrected. On #4, after reviewing, I admitted to myself that I had a *lot* of lucky guesses and/or easier passages.

#5 kind of sucked, but I attributed that to the passages just pointing out my weaknesses. I really started hitting the books after that and was confident today (#7) would show a nice BS/PS improvement as I've been working hard on those specifically and had just finished all of the EK books.

I was really, really bummed today when I saw my VR went up one point and the other two didn't move. I'm not even sure what to do at this point as my test is in about 3 weeks, and I was so sure I would see ~10 in each of those sections. To see them not even go up a point was extremely disheartening as now I don't really expect them to go up more more than 8s. I'm not even sure what my problem is, none of the passages really confused me overly so (it seemed).

I have all of the EK + 1001 books, as well as the Kaplan 45 (not sure why I have that, those questions are insane). I've been reading the books diligently and not moving on until I understand concepts. Today was the first day I had finished every chapter in each EK book (and read some chapters more than once). Do some people just hit a "cap" and not improve?[​IMG] 8's are such crap

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vayntraubinator

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    K so first of all, aamc 7-11 are completely different than the first 5. AAMC 7 and 8 are very hard relatively.

You definitely improved, so relax. Look up and fill any gaps in knowledge from mcat-review.org. Make sure you know that site. And go over EK several times thoroughly. You'll be good. Just keep doing AAMCs and finish them. :)

4. vin5cent0

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'll look into it, thanks. I just can't imagine why my BS hasn't improved since day 1, and my PS has only gone up 2 points. I thought those were supposed to be the easiest to improve, and even after scouring the EK books, nada. It's just extremely frustrating because I felt like for once, since completing the EK books, I was remembering lots of extraneous bits of info on the last MCAT that was helping me a ton, and it didn't seem to do much. Guess I'll just keep plugging at it..

5. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You probably aren't doing a good enough job with your post-practice review. Also, while EK is good for people who have a strong foundation in their pre-reqs, EK might not be for you. I wouldn't recommend it for most people.

6. Swagster

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I second SN2ed. If something is not working for you, then switch to materials that are better for you.

For me, I like doing questions and learning from my mistakes, so I look for explanations that emphasize POE.

7. vin5cent0

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I did pretty well in the pre-reqs, aside from Ochem, which I'm finding little trouble with on the practice tests. I find EK to be relatively easy to understand and succinct.. just not sure why it's not sticking on the test.