VSAS and Away Rotations E-mail Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmania1818

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been submitting away rotation applications on VSAS over the last month, but I haven't heard back from any of the places I've applied to. So I was wondering, what's the consensus about e-mailing the programs to re-iterate our interest and see where our application stands? (this is for all those programs that don't specifically say not to e-mail them). Is it a good idea to send an e-mail to the director right after we submit our application? Or 1-2 weeks later? 1+ month later? Or is it just frowned upon to send e-mails like that?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been applying since March 1st and have only recently heard back from 2 out of 7

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I've had really good results after sending emails to a few programs telling them I was interested in rotating with them. I'd say go for it. May not help, but won't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had really good results after sending emails to a few programs telling them I was interested in rotating with them. I'd say go for it. May not help, but won't hurt.
Were you e-mailing the VSAS contact (registrar) or someone from the EM program (PD/APD) directly?

Were you e-mailing the VSAS contact (registrar) or someone from the EM program (PD/APD) directly?

Usually the EM rotation coordinator (looked on the program's med student rotatation page and there was usually a contact).

Emailing the program coordinator is probably a good move.

If there is a particular site you really want to go, see if one of the em docs knows someone there and can make a call.

But only do that if you have a good reason for wanting to go to a particular site.

Don't waste somebody's time for no good reason.

I only followed up with my "top" choices. Just a simple, "hey, I'm trying to make sure I save a space for your program...can I ask for a fair time to double check with you about a decision?" type of thing

I can only speak for myself, of course (clerkship director, but n=1), but I'm fine with being e-mailed as is my subinternship program coordinator. It shows interest and given that we have received well over 100 applications for maybe 20-30 spots max, it is also nice to know when a program is someone's top choice for an away rotation. That said, it certainly does not guarantee you a spot -- but in my own opinion, it couldn't hurt as long as you are 100% planning to take a spot if offered it.

Reactions: 1 user