VSAS and low step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jvlop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, long time since I've swung by here. I am starting to think about away rotations and I really have some programs in my top choices and I was wondering if step score can affect them choosing you.

I want to do obgyn and I got a 217 but I have an excellent extracurricular record and my evaluation from my gyn rotation is excellent.

What are my chances of being chosen in a program like Brigham and Womens or Tufts?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Aren't aways on a first come first serve basis. Do they really screen apps? The VSAS has some regulations for some programs.

Entirely program dependent. Most places it seems to be more or less first come first serve, but there are definitely some with step cutoffs. Regardless of whether a program has a step cutoff or not, you're looking at a month of fairly significant expenditures and hard work. It'd be a shame to invest that in a place where you have a negligible shot at matching. I'd choose my aways with that in mind (I'm just assuming Brigham and Tufts are top obgyn programs, I know nothing about obgyn)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If applying to those programs, your score will definitely not help you, but idk if it would hurt you.

My friend got a 246 on Step 1 and ended up getting a rotation at BWH, was denied by Tufts. He also did not get honors in OB, but had tons of extracurriculars.

Just n= 1, but who knows. Nothing is stopping you from applying!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Aren't aways on a first come first serve basis. Do they really screen apps? The VSAS has some regulations for some programs.

Some programs have strict Step 1 score cut-offs depending on specialty. Highest cutoff I saw was an Ortho away asking for at least a 240. You upload your USMLE score sheet to VSAS.

First come first serve, for sure, but many programs have screening criteria.

Entirely program dependent. Most places it seems to be more or less first come first serve, but there are definitely some with step cutoffs. Regardless of whether a program has a step cutoff or not, you're looking at a month of fairly significant expenditures and hard work. It'd be a shame to invest that in a place where you have a negligible shot at matching. I'd choose my aways with that in mind (I'm just assuming Brigham and Tufts are top obgyn programs, I know nothing about obgyn)

This. Focus your efforts on programs that you think you could feasibly match at. If you think you have a legit shot at top programs, go for it. An away is not only about getting a letter/impressing the program, it's also an excellent chance to test out your fit at a program.

Reactions: 1 users
Several Derm places had a cutoff of 250 to rotate. I can't imagine OB is very picky.

The best strategy for away rotations is to go to the best program where you would change your status from decent to excellent through display of the qualities most valued at that program Doing an away Obg where you don't stand a chance is poor use of your time (even if they let you schedule it).

Reactions: 2 users
Why would that help?

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

The world would be such a better place if we didn't get caught up on arbitrary numbers. If the OP has 7+ first author publications with the ~220 Step Score, do you really deep down inside feel that they are going to contribute a whole lot less to the field than a person with a magical 250 and 0 research in the field. A multiple choice exam can only tell you so much about a person, but it won't predict their contributions to the field in any shape or form. Maybe ECs should matter a little more in this process than a 6 hour exam. I assume similar clerkships scores and feedback.

The world would be such a better place if we didn't get caught up on arbitrary numbers. If the OP has 7+ first author publications with the ~220 Step Score, do you really deep down inside feel that they are going to contribute a whole lot less to the field than a person with a magical 250 and 0 research in the field. A multiple choice exam can only tell you so much about a person, but it won't predict their contributions to the field in any shape or form. Maybe ECs should matter a little more in this process than a 6 hour exam. I assume similar clerkships scores and feedback.
Research is not "extracurricular" bud.

This has nothing to do with OP. Just get over it - you can't change history.

Members don't see this ad :)
This has nothing to do with OP. Just get over it - you can't change history.

It's therapeutic for me to vent sometimes, and in the process make sure others don't make the same life altering mistakes I have made in my life. I need to let it out somewhere. Feel free to ignore my posts. And who knows, maybe the OP did mean research as an EC.

It's therapeutic for me to vent sometimes, and in the process make sure others don't make the same life altering mistakes I have made in my life. I need to let it out somewhere. Feel free to ignore my posts. And who knows, maybe the OP did mean research as an EC.
Reading your constant grumbles about step 1 is starting to get old man, but your signature did give me some lolz

Reactions: 3 users
It's also the only objective standardized way to compare every applicant...

Reading your constant grumbles about step 1 is starting to get old man, but your signature did give me some lolz

The funny thing is, @failedatlife is just shooting himself in the foot even more with his attitude. Nobody wants to be around that and low confidence just makes it harder to do well going forward.

If applying to those programs, your score will definitely not help you, but idk if it would hurt you.

My friend got a 246 on Step 1 and ended up getting a rotation at BWH, was denied by Tufts. He also did not get honors in OB, but had tons of extracurriculars.

Just n= 1, but who knows. Nothing is stopping you from applying!

Thanks definitely I am not going to let anything stop me from trying as I have good extracurriculars and got excellent evaluations on my Ob rotation (still waiting for the final grade to see if I honored it) I am definitely looking to publish this year and going to try to really rock step 2 in order to boost my app. Thanks for the feedback!

The best strategy for away rotations is to go to the best program where you would change your status from decent to excellent through display of the qualities most valued at that program Doing an away Obg where you don't stand a chance is poor use of your time (even if they let you schedule it).
That is exactly what I am looking to do, I would love to get the opportunity to go to a competitive program where they could see that there is a whole lot more to me than my step 1 score. Thank you so much for the feedback.

"Extracurricular" meaning interest groups. Research is a separate category, and actually important to PDs (as opposed to ECs).

I have both strong EC in Ob-Gyn and Research in ObGyn plus I managed to get great evaluations from my ob-gyn proctors during the rotation.