Sep 1, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Hello fellow medical students. MD student here on east coast and frustrated with VSAS. I applied to a bunch of emergency medicine, internal medicine, and a few other specialties and was only able to set up two rotations successfully. One was an emergency medicine rotation and the other was an internal medicine. The rest of my rotations were "denied." I have determined through some carefully placed phone calls and emails that there is a high likelihood that many of these places I applied to didn't bother to update rotation availability and I ended up applying to several places that were already full. Simply stated, I applied to several locations where there was no chance I could complete a rotation there. This would be fine, except I spent $15 for each of these sites.

Does anyone else have experiences similar to this? I spent nearly $500 on VSAS and I bet half that money was a waste just because the rotations were already full. VSAS shouldn't be able to take our money for rotations that aren't actually available.

Reactions: FM Hopeful

Stagg737

5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Decapod 10
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello fellow medical students. MD student here on east coast and frustrated with VSAS. I applied to a bunch of emergency medicine, internal medicine, and a few other specialties and was only able to set up two rotations successfully. One was an emergency medicine rotation and the other was an internal medicine. The rest of my rotations were "denied." I have determined through some carefully placed phone calls and emails that there is a high likelihood that many of these places I applied to didn't bother to update rotation availability and I ended up applying to several places that were already full. Simply stated, I applied to several locations where there was no chance I could complete a rotation there. This would be fine, except I spent $15 for each of these sites.

Does anyone else have experiences similar to this? I spent nearly $500 on VSAS and I bet half that money was a waste just because the rotations were already full. VSAS shouldn't be able to take our money for rotations that aren't actually available.
I had problems with VSAS this year as well. Literally got zero rotations set up through VSAS because I was denied to all of them (though to be fair, I applied to several of them pretty late). It's certainly not the most ideal tool, but other than cold calling places (which I've found may just piss them off more than actually helping) there's not really other options I'm aware of.

OP
P
Sep 1, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I had problems with VSAS this year as well. Literally got zero rotations set up through VSAS because I was denied to all of them (though to be fair, I applied to several of them pretty late). It's certainly not the most ideal tool, but other than cold calling places (which I've found may just piss them off more than actually helping) there's not really other options I'm aware of.
I'm not so much frustrated because of my limited success in setting up rotations as I am with VSAS's willingness to collect our money with false advertising. At the most fundamental level, they are advertising something that isn't really available in many cases.

People utilizing this application service believe they are spending $15 to have the opportunity to be considered to complete a rotation at a specific site. If not spots are available, what is one applying too? Nothing, simply enriching the AAMC.

About the Ads

Jabbed

5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2013
North of the Wall
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Some programs updated their availability continuously. I'm not a VSAS fan by any means but I really can't rationalize that VSAS is to blame here, especially as it sounds like you applied way late for rotations in the first place.

OP
P
Sep 1, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I think in medicine the idea is to drain the docs of as much money as possible while working them as hard as possible. I used to be a pretty giving person in high school, but after undergrad and med school, I don't think I'm ever volunteering or donating again.
The medical school application process requires "volunteering." I put this in quotes because there isn't much about it that is done voluntarily, most of it is done out of necessity to gain admission into medical school.

OP
P
Sep 1, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Some programs updated their availability continuously. I'm not a VSAS fan by any means but I really can't rationalize that VSAS is to blame here, especially as it sounds like you applied way late for rotations in the first place.
Did you somehow miss the rather obvious point of starting this thread?

You are wrong at least two ways.

1. I didn't apply to most of these programs all that late.

2. It doesn't matter if I don't apply until Christmas, if the program shows there are spots available, what difference does it make? Your logic has no basis in pinning any blame on me. I, like many other medical students, fall victim to this VSAS scam that drains the money from us medical students $15 at a time. Main point, late or not in applying, rotations that are full should not be advertised and accepting applications. Is there something difficult about that? Many would call that fraud.

Aug 25, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I had similar frustrations with VSAS. I frequently noticed many places still have openings for start dates that are only a few days away. Sometimes I emailed places about this and often got responses indicating the dates were full. Dates are full, but VSAS is still accepting money for these spots? Totally fraudulent behavior. Nothing ethical about that.

Syncrohnize

PGY-1
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]

For what it's worth, I don't think there's much use for away rotations in boosting an Internal Medicine application even though it would helpful on a personal level to experience a different hospital system's methods & culture. That said, that's quite ridiculous if your assumptions are correct and like @Stagg737 says, I wouldn't risk cold-calling and pissing anyone off.

Aug 25, 2017
Status
Medical Student
For what it's worth, there's not much use for away rotations in Internal Medicine other than to perhaps experience a different hospital system's culture. That said, that's quite ridiculous if your assumptions are correct and like @Stagg737 says, I wouldn't risk cold-calling and pissing anyone off.
As my previous post indicates, this is real. It happens all the time without doubt by VSAS. I find it perplexing that individuals like @Jabbed believe this type of behavior is justified because an individual "applied late." Seriously? Because one applies late misleading them to steal them of their money is acceptable.

Aug 25, 2017
Status
Medical Student
To be completely fair, if you applied late, that still means they should have had openings. Therefore, Applying late should be a zero factor. Unfortunately, we know applying late is a big factor because of this deceptive practice of selling rotations that don't exist.

Syncrohnize

PGY-1
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As my previous post indicates, this is real. It happens all the time without doubt by VSAS. I find it perplexing that individuals like @Jabbed believe this type of behavior is justified because an individual "applied late." Seriously? Because one applies late misleading them to steal them of their money is acceptable.
OK! I believe you. Jabbed's a nice dude. No need to get worked up. This is possibly something that you should report to AAMC after you're done. With a quick thread search, there's someone complaining about the exact same thing you are in 2011.

Last edited:
OP
P
Sep 1, 2017
Status
Medical Student
OK! I believe you. Jabbed's a nice dude. No need to get worked up. This is possibly something that you should report to AAMC anonymously after your done. With a quick thread search, there's someone complaining about the exact same thing you are in 2011.
Is there a specific thread? I couldn't find anything, would you mind posting the link?

Syncrohnize

PGY-1
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
About the Ads
OP
P
Sep 1, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I love applying for an away at sites (and spending the stupid $15 per school) and then calling them a month down the road and asking when I would receive a decision to hear "Oh, there was never an opening for those blocks - our own students filled them out earlier this year with their lottery"

I just want to ask why the hell would they offer them on VSAS and make us waste our money applying? If you call the schools ahead of time you just hear "blah blah blah you need to apply though VSAS."

+pissed++pissed+

More and more each day I start to think that every hoop we have to jump through in this stupid process was simply put in place so that we could be milked for more and more money.
Wow, thank you so much for posting that. That is essentially verbatim for the reason why I started this thread.

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space

Stagg737

5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2013
Decapod 10
Status
Resident [Any Field]
For what it's worth, I don't think there's much use for away rotations in boosting an Internal Medicine application even though it would helpful on a personal level to experience a different hospital system's methods & culture. That said, that's quite ridiculous if your assumptions are correct and like @Stagg737 says, I wouldn't risk cold-calling and pissing anyone off.
It's not necessarily just for audition rotations though. There were 2 "fun" rotations I wanted to do in the spring that I applied for and didn't get. I can't imagine that I got rejected for any reason other than the positions weren't available anymore.

To be completely fair, if you applied late, that still means they should have had openings. Therefore, Applying late should be a zero factor. Unfortunately, we know applying late is a big factor because of this deceptive practice of selling rotations that don't exist.
I wasn't excusing VSAS for not updating their information, I was saying that had I applied to those rotations earlier I may have filled some of my rotations through VSAS.

Triple Cheeseburger

Supersized fries too with a 64 oz pepsi
Removed
Aug 28, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I had similar frustrations with VSAS. I frequently noticed many places still have openings for start dates that are only a few days away. Sometimes I emailed places about this and often got responses indicating the dates were full. Dates are full, but VSAS is still accepting money for these spots? Totally fraudulent behavior. Nothing ethical about that.
True all dat

OP
P
Sep 1, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Just out of curiosity, can anyone comment on how much they or someone else you know spent on VSAS? I've heard of some MS4s spending over $500.

FM Hopeful

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 23, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I'll take this a step further. Does anyone else think the AAMC in its entirety is a money making fraud that doesn't put medical student interests above paying the top dog over $2,000,000 salary and all the other unethical behavior?

Reactions: Panthersfan25
OP
P
Sep 1, 2017
Status
Medical Student
A little bump

Anyone else reflecting back to their VSAS applications an thinking about how much of the $100s they spent was on rotation spots that never were actually available? AAMC is ran by a bunch of cons gaming the system and exploiting medical students and premeds for all they can. The latest example is the emergency medicine video interview. They do not have medical students and premeds best interests in mind.

Reactions: localmotion24
Sep 22, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I actually called the rotation I applied to every single week because for the first three months they didn't even know I applied and then it was a big thing to get the faculty to review my app. Needed constant reminders to get it done. It was extremely frustrating but in med school I learned that persistence is everything. I would rather be annoying than be denied important learning opportunities.

Sep 22, 2017
Status
Medical Student
A little bump

Anyone else reflecting back to their VSAS applications an thinking about how much of the $100s they spent was on rotation spots that never were actually available? AAMC is ran by a bunch of cons gaming the system and exploiting medical students and premeds for all they can. The latest example is the emergency medicine video interview. They do not have medical students and premeds best interests in mind.
tru tru

OP
P
Sep 1, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I actually called the rotation I applied to every single week because for the first three months they didn't even know I applied and then it was a big thing to get the faculty to review my app. Needed constant reminders to get it done. It was extremely frustrating but in med school I learned that persistence is everything. I would rather be annoying than be denied important learning opportunities.
This exact type of situation is common and disgusting. You paid money and your application should be reviewed, plain and simple. AAMC doesn't care, they got your $15. Every application through VSAS needs to be reviewed, and either accepted or denied. Most commonly, no type of communication occurs except for the one between your bank or credit card company and the AAMC.

About the Ads