VSAS thread - the wait of away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePrissyMD4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone still waiting to here back about away rotations? I'm applying to family medicine and a lot of my applications are not on VSAS, but you have to contact the program coordinator directly. I'm still waiting for a response to my emails. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat or if I'm screwed.

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone still waiting to here back about away rotations? I'm applying to family medicine and a lot of my applications are not on VSAS, but you have to contact the program coordinator directly. I'm still waiting for a response to my emails. Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat or if I'm screwed.

Still waiting for a few months from mine. I applied for one in September though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the clerkship coordinator for one of mine. She said I didn't receive a response because they are booked up until the beginning of 2020. I only applied 2 weeks ago though via email. I'm on the waiting list for them apparently.

still waiting on 38 pending applications. Just need to fill in my September rotation at this point, but considering switching others out.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I got about 4 acceptances out of 50 pending applications. I'm giving the rest of the programs another week before I finalize my schedule. From talking to my surgery colleagues, it seems that surgical programs give words back at a quicker notice than other specialties.

So far, two of my auditions will be at desirable locations in which I could see myself in, and possibly practice at down the road as an attending. The other one is just a nice warmup to the real show. Very excited to finally be done with third year in a few weeks.

Reactions: 5 users
Just based on my experience here... But it seems like it's extremely hard to score an audition slot from late July to August, and then from mid-late August - mid Sept. I don't know if it has anything to do with the MD > IMG MD > DO hierarchy. But, make sure to give it some thought especially if you need some LOR from a big whig before Sept bc it's very unlikely for you to get one.

For nonsurgical specialty, 2-3 away rotations are enough. You don't need to go ham on this one.

For surgical specialty, 4-8 aways seem to be the standard.

Just based on my experience here... But it seems like it's extremely hard to score an audition slot from late July to August, and then from mid-late August - mid Sept. I don't know if it has anything to do with the MD > IMG MD > DO hierarchy. But, make sure to give it some thought especially if you need some LOR from a big whig before Sept bc it's very unlikely for you to get one.

For nonsurgical specialty, 2-3 away rotations are enough. You don't need to go ham on this one.

I'm applying family med and have been freaking out about only having 1 so far in late October so thanks for sharing. I have 20 apps under review on VSAS for late July - early October so we'll see.

Yes but, at our school we have 6 electives and an IM sub-I to schedule on our own for 4th year. So.... we have to apply through VSAS and hope to fill 7 rotations. Even to “just” do different specialties at my core hospital to fill those, I have to apply through VSAS like anyone.

Yes but, at our school we have 6 electives and an IM sub-I to schedule on our own for 4th year. So.... we have to apply through VSAS and hope to fill 7 rotations. Even to “just” do different specialties at my core hospital to fill those, I have to apply through VSAS like anyone.
That is such garbage. Apply through Vsas to stay at your hospital

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
That is such garbage. Apply through Vsas to stay at your hospital

That’s what I mostly plan on doing (I’m a rising M3) since I’m just interested in internal medicine ->PCP or maybe Rheum. So I don’t need/want to go crazy on auditions. I just want to do more IM and IM-related stuff.

Still waiting for 1 FM VSAS. Applied end of March for a spot in September....ugh. Gonna give it another week and then call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got about a metric butt-ton I'm still waiting to hear back from for Sept-Oct. Applied back in March/April, so I'm either ghosted or waitlisted. Thankfully I already have 2 secured, but it'd be nice if I could finalize my schedule and close this filthy VSAS book.

2 confirmed and set up for later in the fall but still waiting to hear back for July through October or so. 4 apps pending.

Secured 3 away auditions (one in the West Coast, one in the South, and one in the Midwest) and just finalized my 4th yr schedule. 10% yield on all my applications thus far for a nonsurgical specialty. This VSAS is straight up a pos. I've talked to a few coordinators from these institutions and according to them, August and September dates are normally filled up by institutional students (words from programs in TX, Cali, and Kansas). So, if you're shooting for those dates, you will either get silent rejections or straight up rejections telling you that no slot is available.

Also, always get a free throw away 4th yr rotation from a chill preceptor that will let you go for interview for 28-30 days straight.

Also, my recommendations to the students reading this is to only do rotations at sites in which you're either an average candidate or slightly below candidate, and you really want to be there. Feel free to have your first away be a burn experience in order to see how things at an academic institution work.

Honestly wish they would just straight up reject at this point. Why play the waiting game, such a waste of time. Thanks for the words of advice!

Is it common to send out lots of apps? I thought the point was to apply to a few places you’re gunning for a residency?

Is it common to send out lots of apps? I thought the point was to apply to a few places you’re gunning for a residency?
That is the general idea, but some people also do them to get letter of recc if they need one. A lot of the spots are competitive so it generally seems like people apply to several places to improve their chances for one spot.

Just for posterity, I applied to about ten residencies for rotations from late march to early april. I sent love letters to ones I liked the most, and got 4 approved by the end of april. 3 thru VSAs, one thru the program.

I also have one program that I am waiting to see if they will take me early 2020, but I am not holding my breath.

My general advice: if a program doesn't take you in 2-3weeks they probably will not. Keep applying, the longest a rotation took to accept me is 3 weeks anything longer than that has basically rejected or ghosted me. Apply to all tiers cause it will surprise you how some low will reject you when higher ones don't.

If one rotation rejects try and get another at the same institution if possible when you really want a place. I got my final rotation by emailing after getting rejected from two different services. They told me what was left and thankfully took me.

The other thing. This stuff costs money, and all of the rotations I have aren't helping with housing. And most of them have some extra 75-150 fee beyond VSAs, even if you use the no fee feature. So plan on paying $15 to apply plus that fee. It can add up quick.

You can apply for multiple months for no extra fee as long as its the same rotation with the same service. I havent had much luck with this, as the ones I did it for basically ghosted me, but its an option.

I would expect to pay $600 to $1000 for housing from rotating room or the local contacts these places have.

The academic places can have some LOOONGGG charting training they make you do online ahead of the rotations. I had one place that required over 5 hours of 'interactive' videos that could not be sped up. Pretty much pure torture.

Programs also open at different times on VSAs, alot of people told me to apply early but most programs I was looking at didnt even allow apps till march 31st. Surgery seems to open earlier tho.

Also you need to get a copy of your LOR for whatever specialty you are interested in. Many programs have started requiring that this year, as well as letters of intent. Some places want a personal statement as well. And I uploaded my CV to everything.

Basically have your whole app ready by march of third year and then you can get aways in early 4th. It sucks, but thats how it is for us.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Just for posterity, I applied to about ten residencies for rotations from late march to early april. I sent love letters to ones I liked the most, and got 4 approved by the end of april. 3 thru VSAs, one thru the program.

I also have one program that I am waiting to see if they will take me early 2020, but I am not holding my breath.

My general advice: if a program doesnt take you in 2-3weeks they probably will not. Keep applying, the longest a rotation took to accept me is 3 weeks anything longer than that has basically rejected or ghosted me. Apply to all tiers cause it will surprise you how some low will reject you when higher ones don't.

If one rotation rejects try and get another at the same instituion if possible when you really want a place. I got my final rotation by emailing after getting rejected from two different services. They told me what was left and thankfully took me.

The other thing. This stuff costs money, and none of the rotations I have aren't helping with housing. And most of them have some extra 75-150 fee beyond VSAs, even if you use the no fee feature. So plan on paying $15 to apply plus that fee. It can add up quick.

You can apply for multiple months for no extra fee as longas its the same rotation with the same service. I havent had much luck with this, as the ones I did it for basically ghosted me, but its an option.

I would expect to pay $600 to $1000 for housing from rotating room or the local contacts these places have.

The academic places can have some LOOONGGG charting training they make you do online ahead of the rotations. I had one place that required over 5 hours of 'interactive' videos that could not be sped up. Pretty much pure torture.

Programs also open at different times on VSAs, alot of people told me to apply early but most programs I was looking at didnt even allow apps till march 31st. Surgery seems to open earlier tho.

Also you need to get a copy of your LOR for whatever specialty you are interested in. Many programs have started requiring that this year, as well as letters of intent. Some places want a personal statement as well. And I uploaded my CV to everything.

Basically have your whole app ready by march of third year and then you can get aways in early 4th. It sucks, but thats how it is for us.
Everyday that goes by, this becomes more and more true. I'm almost ready to call it quits, sites have stopped responding to my emails altogether too. It's not exactly ridiculous to ask for an update every 2 weeks, but that's where we are these days. If VSAS is ANY indication of residency matching, boy am I in for a world of hurt...

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

My general advice: if a program doesnt take you in 2-3weeks they probably will not. Keep applying, the longest a rotation took to accept me is 3 weeks anything longer than that has basically rejected or ghosted me. Apply to all tiers cause it will surprise you how some low will reject you when higher ones don't.

If one rotation rejects try and get another at the same instituion if possible when you really want a place. I got my final rotation by emailing after getting rejected from two different services. They told me what was left and thankfully took me.

The other thing. This stuff costs money, and none of the rotations I have aren't helping with housing. And most of them have some extra 75-150 fee beyond VSAs, even if you use the no fee feature. So plan on paying $15 to apply plus that fee. It can add up quick.

You can apply for multiple months for no extra fee as longas its the same rotation with the same service. I havent had much luck with this, as the ones I did it for basically ghosted me, but its an option.

Ah great the old get an LOR so you can apply to a place to get a ****ing LOR situation. God medicine is absurd.

Reactions: 6 users
Everyday that goes by, this becomes more and more true. I'm almost ready to call it quits, sites have stopped responding to my emails altogether too. It's not exactly ridiculous to ask for an update every 2 weeks, but that's where we are these days. If VSAS is ANY indication of residency matching, boy am I in for a world of hurt...
I don’t think it’s any indication of residency. The issue with vsas is first come, first serve so even if you’re a better fit or better stats you get ghosted becausd they already accepted everyone before you. I have contacted a couple programs I hadn’t heard from and 9/10 it was because they’re full. The entire process sucks honestly.

I don’t think it’s any indication of residency. The issue with vsas is first come, first serve so even if you’re a better fit or better stats you get ghosted becausd they already accepted everyone before you. I have contacted a couple programs I hadn’t heard from and 9/10 it was because they’re full. The entire process sucks honestly.
Just like every other application in medicine. Be ready to send out app right at open

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from unc chapel hill sites for mid to late fall rotations? I know asheville has rolling acceptances.

Are you sure there is no screening of board scores/ grades also involved in the acceptance/ rejection process?

Are you sure there is no screening of board scores/ grades also involved in the acceptance/ rejection process?

I’m sure there is. What I meant by my comment is there is no rolling acceptances for a lot of programs on vsas. So if someone applies with 415 in March they may get accepted vs someone with 600 with better stats who applies later in May just because they applied too late in the process and the slots are full.

A lot also depends on the program, if they’re community based vs university etc. A couple of programs I’ve contacted have board score cut-offs, others only require a passing score. Some reject if board score failures. It all depends. I agree with the person above, always submit when they open. That’s our best bet.

If they're full why can't they just send us rejects already instead of ghosting us? It's like waiting in line outside the building when the venue is full and they're not telling us. Like tell us to go back home or something instead of keeping us in the line all day.

Reactions: 6 users
If they're full why can't they just send us rejects already instead of ghosting us? It's like waiting in line outside the building when the venue is full and they're not telling us. Like tell us to go back home or something instead of keeping us in the line all day.
You're forgetting the part where before heading out to the venue you went online and paid for a ticket.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I’d assume they wanna keep people on standby if someone drops maybe?
I just got an acceptance yesterday from one I submitted back in February lol

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I’d assume they wanna keep people on standby if someone drops maybe?
I just got an acceptance yesterday from one I submitted back in February lol
There can be miracles...

So, I was trying to do a medicine sub-I before my apps go out to get LOR because my school doesn't have sub-Is. No luck on VSAS. Got a subI for October though at a program I'm applying to but not crazy passionate about. Is it worth doing that late? I have 4 solid 3rd year letters.

So, I was trying to do a medicine sub-I before my apps go out to get LOR because my school doesn't have sub-Is. No luck on VSAS. Got a subI for October though at a program I'm applying to but not crazy passionate about. Is it worth doing that late? I have 4 solid 3rd year letters.
Do you plan to apply there for residency? If so, I would say it is worth it because it will allow you to get to know the residents and allow you to make a strong impression on the program. They may also possibly interview you during Subi. Otherwise, if you really don't want to end up there I would say no. Sounds like you already have your LORs in place which is awesome.

Are people still waiting at this point for VSAS responses? Or is it time to start moving on with our lives?

Are people still waiting at this point for VSAS responses? Or is it time to start moving on with our lives?
Spots open up all the time. Students hang on to multiple acceptances trying to decide which acceptance to attend, similar to the process with getting into medical school.

Spots open up all the time. Students hang on to multiple acceptances trying to decide which acceptance to attend, similar to the process with getting into medical school.

You're basically implying that people who haven't gotten responses should move on unless those who already got responses decide to reject it.

Ok I actually just heard back for a sept-oct slot today. I guess we should just remain patient

Ok I actually just heard back for a sept-oct slot today. I guess we should just remain patient
Do you think it is too late to hear back for an August slot?

Depends on the place’s policy. If they’re 60 days prior, definitely. If they’re 30 days there may be a little hope. It’ll tell you on their school page.

I have no idea.. some places I've called will actually adhere to their "2 months prior" rule if they say they have one. But other classmates applying for different rotations to the same institution that has the same "2 month" rule have heard back way earlier than 2 months out. The place I just heard back from was a program that I called to make sure there were still available slots. Maybe that helped me out a bit.

when did you submit app for the sept-oct slot?
I applied for it about 6 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it opened up for applications about 7 weeks ago.

I have no idea.. some places I've called will actually adhere to their "2 months prior" rule if they say they have one. But other classmates applying for different rotations to the same institution that has the same "2 month" rule have heard back way earlier than 2 months out. The place I just heard back from was a program that I called to make sure there were still available slots. Maybe that helped me out a bit.

I applied for it about 6 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it opened up for applications about 7 weeks ago.
Jesus, people are calling now!? Holy crap, this is getting out of hand. Not to pick on you, but what's next, letters of interest?

"Dear Medical school,

Since 6/10, I've gained more days of experience in clinical medicine that I'm sure would make me even more of a standout student at your fine, damn fine, institution

I love you,
Gio"

Jesus, people are calling now!? Holy crap, this is getting out of hand. Not to pick on you, but what's next, letters of interest?

"Dear Medical school,

Since 6/10, I've gained more days of experience in clinical medicine that I'm sure would make me even more of a standout student at your fine, damn fine, institution

I love you,
Gio"
Aside from hiding my yawns, one of the greatest skills I've developed during third year is the ability to kiss butt, so I just decided to use that to my advantage. :shrug:

Actually though my calls were more along the lines of "do you think its worth submitting this missed paperwork for this elective at this point?", or "is it even worth submitting an application at this point?" once I realized back in May that I was missing paperwork for some rotations and that I shouldve just sent more applications out in general.

Applied to about 90 programs all over (psych mostly). Had 1 place calling me because my dates were slightly not convenient for them but they accommodated - every place confirmed me at least 2 months before the start date. These were mostly in the midwest and the south. I got about 30 rejections 40 days before the start dates. The only CA place is a UC affiliated site, but I previously rotated there. My classmates who got good, full VSAS schedules happen to have sent apps on the 1st day possible AND have 240+ Step 1s so it kinda confirms stuff said earlier here.

Applied to about 90 programs all over (psych mostly). Had 1 place calling me because my dates were slightly not convenient for them but they accommodated - every place confirmed me at least 2 months before the start date. These were mostly in the midwest and the south. I got about 30 rejections 40 days before the start dates. The only CA place is a UC affiliated site, but I previously rotated there. My classmates who got good, full VSAS schedules happen to have sent apps on the 1st day possible AND have 240+ Step 1s so it kinda confirms stuff said earlier here.
NINETY?! :uhno:

Just checked again and it was actually 78. I've met a few MDs from pretty good schools who matched into their backup specialties (usually IM or neuro) in 2018 with 230+ Step 1s and no obvious personality issues. They told me that based purely on numbers, psych is ridiculous if you are geographically restricted and I also messed up by submitting VLSO apps a bit later than I should have.