"W" : Did I make a mistake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiamondBar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! For background, I'm currently a 2nd year in a UC. During my first year, I ended horribly (~3.0 GPA). This year, I got myself together and got my GPA up to ~3.5 by getting good grades fall and winter quarter. However, this spring quarter I've had some family issues and ended up dropping an upperdivision biology course (also required for major) with a W because I believed I would've ended up with a C. At first, I thought a single W would be no problem, but after searching SDN I've come across mixed opinions. I've read from one thread that a "W" in an upperdivision biology course 'kills' my chances of getting accepted into a medical school, especially if it is required for my major.

It was difficult to find the answer through the search function because all of the "W" threads has different situations depending on the student. Sorry if this topic seems repetitive, but it would be great if I can get some opinions and advice. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Saying that one W is going to stop you from going to med school is a dumb thing to say.

You have nothing to worry about

Don't worry, you will be fine. One (or even a couple W's) won't hurt you at all. Just don't drop the same class twice, and make sure you keep getting good grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
use common sense. Its not like a W is an F. 3+ W's do look very bad though

Your fine. I had read previous threads about this and have seen people with 6 or 7 W's get accepted (DONT DO THIS :)). I was just trying to give you an example.

W with retake getting an A/A+ > C

(from personal experience)

Thank you everyone! I guess all I can do is to work hard to get an A next quarter.