W on transcript... what are my chances ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meso compound

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what a W on my transcript will do to my chances of being accepted to medical school. My current GPA is 3.75 and I take practice MCATs and get around 30's and I have lots of ExtraCurriculars, Volunteering and stuff, its only that W in OChem 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think I should apply to DO and not bother applying to MD ;(

Members don't see this ad.

You have one W?? Phew...I mean, maybe DO...but Caribbean is probably your best shot. I dunno what else to tell you. Unless you get a 45 on your MCAT you're probably screwed.

No DO school is going to accept you with a W...
maybe you should just get your CNA instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
W isn't that bad...wait it is in OChem!!!!1 YOU ARE SCREWED MAN!!!1

I would suggest taking the class again,seeing how it is a pre-req. Your GPA is good and your MCAT will probably be good.

I am sorry bro, but you are totally screwed! You should think about CNA like one mentioned here, but still, I would think they might reject you because of that W, especially because of their Ochem requirements...

I was wondering what a W on my transcript will do to my chances of being accepted to medical school. My current GPA is 3.75 and I take practice MCATs and get around 30's and I have lots of ExtraCurriculars, Volunteering and stuff, its only that W in OChem 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you think I should apply to DO and not bother applying to MD ;(
refer to avatar

Wow, I totally am in, like, the same spot.

1 W in Orgo I.

Creepy, huh?

Honesty, I've heard that one W is no big deal.

Certainly, wayyyy better than not doing so hot.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a W?

Cheating?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a W?

Cheating?

Dude, you don't know what a W is? It's like the worst thing that can happen to you in college. People would rather be caught cheating red-handed by the dean than get a W. Seriously.

My buddy had a 4.00 GPA, 37 MCAT (13,13,11), amazing EC's including publishing three papers under a nobel laureate and he did not even get a single interview. Why, you ask? BECAUSE OF ONE W. It ruined his life. :(

Dude, I have the scarlet W on my transcript and got 19 interviews and 4 acceptances so far. I really had to start withdrawal applications and canceling interviews. No one asked me about it.

So, relax. Then take it again and do well. Med schools don't expect you to be able to walk on water...

Wouldn't it be better to withdraw than for example, fail? I would assume a withdrawal implies the candidate understands their abilities or for whatever reason, and decided it's best to withdraw than to get a C.

Wouldn't it be better to withdraw than for example, fail? I would assume a withdrawal implies the candidate understands their abilities or for whatever reason, and decided it's best to withdraw than to get a C.

Yes, this topic has been debated to death. Ws don't look good, but don't lower your GPA. Cs don't look good and do lower.

I think the consensus opinion (or at least mine) is A>B>W>C or lower

Dude, you don't know what a W is? It's like the worst thing that can happen to you in college. People would rather be caught cheating red-handed by the dean than get a W. Seriously.

My buddy had a 4.00 GPA, 37 MCAT (13,13,11), amazing EC's including publishing three papers under a nobel laureate and he did not even get a single interview. Why, you ask? BECAUSE OF ONE W. It ruined his life. :(

I'd rather get shot in the balls with a bullet full of AIDS than get a W!

EDIT: Crap, now that I think about it, I did get a W for a community college course I was taking in HS!!!! *grabs Paris Hilton and a pistol*

WTF

What state are u in? down south- people get in all the time with a W.

I HAVE 2! - but not in any important classes

I knew someone w/ a D in orgo 1- he retook with grade forgiveness and got an A and got into 2 medical schools! - but late because he didn't find out he was accepted til april. Dont stress! You may get in off a waitlist but w/ good stuff u will still be in.

Since when did SDN people get so mean to eachother!?

EDIT: 3 Ws I also got one in community college! lol

I'd rather get shot in the balls with a bullet full of AIDS than get a W!

EDIT: Crap, now that I think about it, I did get a W for a community college course I was taking in HS!!!! *grabs Paris Hilton and a pistol*

The bullet is too hot, the AIDS would be DESTROYED!!!

anyway, it is in O-chem, don't you NEED TO KNOW THIS STUFF!?!?!:confused:

What are the chances that you didn't see the "What are my chances?" forum?

hahahaha :laugh:

I hope other people (esp OP) find this thread as amusing as I do.

Love,
Accepted with a W