W on transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if i took orgo 1, and withrew from that and took it at a cc over the summer how bad would that look? i would get a W for organic on my transcript, but would be taking it at a community college. do you think the adcoms would look down upon that, and how bad does a W look in a pre-med class or any class for that matter?
how many W's would you say is pushing it as far as hurting your application?

Members don't see this ad.

I had 3 Ws on my transcript, 1 for Calculus II, and 2 for an electric circuits class I had to take for my major (chemical engineering). I retook the Calculus at a different school (but not a CC) and I retook the circuits class at my school because they wouldn't accept the credit from anywhere else.

As for how this looks on the application, I can't say for sure but I got into two schools this year. I tend to think that medical school admissions is really about the entire package, most medical schools are willing to overlook a few Ws if your overall GPA is still within the range and if your MCATs are decent. However, at one interview, I was specifically asked about the Ws (Syracuse-I'm on the high priority alternate list).

As for retaking the class at a CC, if you're doing that because of financial or geographical reasons, what can you do? If you're doing it because you think it'll be easier, I'd rethink that. Half of the Biological Sciences section on the MCAT is Orgo, so if you're going to learn it, might as well learn it well, it'll help you in the long run.

Just my own experiences, hope that helps a little.

I agree with everything chemE stated. She has very good advice. But just to clarify--the ratio of bio to org on the MCAT is not 50/50 it's more like 70/30. And in the updated 2003 MCAT, according to the AMCAS website, the % of org questions will be even less because 3 orgo questions will be changed to bio questions dealing with DNA and genetics. Good luck with organic.

Members don't see this ad :)
A couple of W's won't matter. If it becomes a pattern then it will be viewed as a problem.

If you retake the course at a CC the ADCOM will think you couldn't hack it at the 4 year.

Thanks for the clarification on the Bio section of the MCATs, I took it in '99 so it's been a while. Or maybe I'm selectively trying to not remember it, it was an awful experience, after all. :)

If you think taking organic at a cc will be easier, think again. I took organic at a cc and it was quite difficult, although I LOVED it. Our instructor worked us hard (all 4 of us). It was a WONDERFUL experience and in fact persuaded me to pursue a M.S. in chemistry. In the end, I scored a 100% (percentile) on the ACS national exam so learning at a cc can be an exceptional education. Don't assume, however, that it will be easier! I think in our case it was harder....and each of us learned more. --Cynthia

I don't think a couple of W's on your transcript will hurt you. I had one in a med school pre-req, and it definitely didn't seem to matter.

However, I would not recommend taking orgo 1 at a community college instead. I don't want to get into a debate over whether or not it actually is just as hard or not -- no matter what, I think the perception on AdComms is that community college courses generally aren't as intense as those at a 4-year university. To echo another poster, it will look like you can't hack it. I think it's one thing for those who start out at a community college, do really well academically, transfer to a 4-year, and continue to do well. However, it looks a little different if you are already at a 4-year and are trying to take your pre-reqs at a community college.

i withdrew from animal physiology (arguably the most relevant premedical class as far as med school goes) and i still had 9 interviews, with 3 accepts, 4 waitlists, and 2 rejects (out of 13 schools that i applied to).

in other words, a withdrawl will not change your future. the rest of the application will speak for itself.