W or C

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ODorDO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
W or C? which one do you prefer?

im in this situation for ochemI rite now.... need advices plz thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ballbat, brass knuckles or a sock full of nickels? Which one do you prefer? :smuggrin:

If it were me, I would take the W, and retake the course.

If your understanding of the material is a C now, you will have more trouble when you hit Ochem 2. Even worse if you have to take the ACS Ochem comprehensive exam at the end of ochem2.

There are a few great books that I have heard of for Ochem, two popular ones are "Pushing Electrons" and "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language".

Study those over the summer and kick butt next semester. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

for what it's worth, i got a C in a semester of organic and got accepted to medical school without retaking the class. it never even came up in any interviews. unless you already have a LOT of Cs on your transcript and you're really concerned about bringing up a low GPA, a C here and there won't make much difference.

If it were me, I would take the W, and retake the course.

If your understanding of the material is a C now, you will have more trouble when you hit Ochem 2. Even worse if you have to take the ACS Ochem comprehensive exam at the end of ochem2.

There are a few great books that I have heard of for Ochem, two popular ones are "Pushing Electrons" and "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language".

Study those over the summer and kick butt next semester. :thumbup:
i'll second that...i found pushing electrons excellent for learning how to understand mechanisms.

Take the W, but how badly do you want to re-take the class?

If you're having that much trouble with Ochem I right now... then you might want to consider an alternative to going to Medical School... Organic Chemistry is nothing compared to what you're going to have to learn in Medical School.

But if you think you can retake it for an A, then do it, just remember that you have to remain focused, and get the grades...

If you're having that much trouble with Ochem I right now... then you might want to consider an alternative to going to Medical School... Organic Chemistry is nothing compared to what you're going to have to learn in Medical School.

But if you think you can retake it for an A, then do it, just remember that you have to remain focused, and get the grades...

Were you being sarcastic or serious? If you are seriously telling a person to reconsider their options because of one C then wow that's completely stupid.

I know lots of people who've gotten one C in a class like organic or physics or some other premed class and gotten in med school fine. The recommendation at USF is to take the C and prove that you can do better in the next course. That said, if you take the W and you don't have a string of W's it probably won't hurt too much either.

Another good ochem book is the textbook written by the author: Wade

can't think of the exact full name of the book. its a typical ochem textbook but its a lot better then what I used back in the day.

Were you being sarcastic or serious? If you are seriously telling a person to reconsider their options because of one C then wow that's completely stupid.

I know lots of people who've gotten one C in a class like organic or physics or some other premed class and gotten in med school fine. The recommendation at USF is to take the C and prove that you can do better in the next course. That said, if you take the W and you don't have a string of W's it probably won't hurt too much either.

Another good ochem book is the textbook written by the author: Wade

can't think of the exact full name of the book. its a typical ochem textbook but its a lot better then what I used back in the day.

Come on... no one's going to make a WC joke? Cause seriously, that's what I thought when I read the thread title.

Anyways, I definitely agree with this, but ONLY if you feel confident that you can do significantly better on subsequent courses. So it depends on if you're getting a C because you slacked off, or if you're getting a C because you're trying your best, but can't seem to get it. If it's the first, shape up. Work hard, and try to pull it up. Swallow the C, if necessary, because having to explain a W to adcomms is a lot more common than needing to explain a C (although that may also need some explaining). Chalk it up to a crappy semester. Maybe say that you were originally doing very poorly in the class, and tell them that you managed to pull it up significantly in the end. A lot of it depends on the circumstances. If it's only a blip in an otherwise solid record, I'd save the time, energy, and potential hassle down the line by taking the C.

If it's the second case (you just don't get it), you should consider withdrawing. You'll need to understand Orgo I to do well in Orgo II, and perhaps even biochem. Try studying on your own, before you re-take the class. The other posters have given some excellent textbooks (Wade, in particular, is very easy-to-understand... we used it in my high school).

Either way, your goal is to present an outstanding overall academic record. Just keep that in mind. Good luck!

just like someone mentioned on top. i do have serveral C's on my transcript... almost to the point of unrepairable, thats why i need to make an WorC decision, but thx for all the outputs think ill just study harder!!

just like someone mentioned on top. i do have serveral C's on my transcript... almost to the point of unrepairable, thats why i need to make an WorC decision, but thx for all the outputs think ill just study harder!!

In that case definitely take the W.

If your teacher isn't very good, then try to get tutoring for the class next time and/or find a better teacher.

wait, i thought he meant adding another C to collection wont matter as much n plus its a 3 unit class

No taking another C will drop your GPA some more and probably irreparably at that. So definitely take the W. A few schools will screen you out based on your GPA without even looking at the rest of your application.

for what it's worth, i got a C in a semester of organic and got accepted to medical school without retaking the class. it never even came up in any interviews. unless you already have a LOT of Cs on your transcript and you're really concerned about bringing up a low GPA, a C here and there won't make much difference.

I think what Jbrice means (and jbrice, correct me if I'm wrong) if you have a total of 2 C's on your transcript you're ok, you'll still be able to get into med school.

However, if you have a collection of five Cs, then definitely don't damage your GPA any further.

is it a C because you don't get it or because you haven't studied hard enough for it?