WA Resident, 3.63 cGPA, 3.58 sGPA, 515 MCAT, re-applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingCounty

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied and finished all my apps between September and November last season. I realize that factor, and the fact that I applied top heavy, did not help my application. My application looks like the following:

WA State resident
ORM
BS in Neuroscience
MCAT 515,
cGPA 3.63, sGPA 3.58

Experiences:
-Shadowing: over 400 hours: anesthesiology, geriatrics, sleep medicine, hospice and palliative care, general surgery, emergency medicine, rural medicine, adult neurology, pediatric neurology, movement disorders neurology
-2.5 years of hospice volunteer, where I go to patient homes and assist with homecare/respite, or provide companionship
-2 years of inpatient hospice volunteering, providing companionship, recreational needs assistance, and food preparation
-2 years working with students with disabilities, communicating with professors and students in regards to accommodations
-200 hours, no publications in physiology lab
-300 hours, no publications, in a neurogenetics lab, assisted with specimen processing
-Over 1800 hours of scribing at an Urgent Care, where I room patients, take vitals, complete medical history, ROS, and HPI. Then I brief the providers, re-enter patient room, and complete the rest of the chart, including ordering labs, STAT referrals, prep for procedures (lacerations, ortho, etc). As part of my job duties, I also process simple labs, perform UA's, gluco-sticks, rapid tests (for mono, HIV, flu, strep), and perform an EKG on patients. I am technically a scribe and Medical Assistant here (I have a registration).

I am worried about my lower GPA stats, and the fact that I don't have much research experience. Will this hinder me at mid tier schools? In my upcoming gap year, I will be moving with my fiancee, who is attending a top dental school, which happens to be a top tier medical school. I am hoping to pull some strings through my connections and work at a research lab under that medical school. Do you think I am okay with the clinical hours, and should pursue research?

Thanks so much for your advice.

KC

Members don't see this ad.

I've looked at other threads, and so far my list is:

New York Medical College
Wake Forest
Albany
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Tulane
Rush
USC
UWash
WSU

Reach schools:
UCSF (interviewed last season, is it worth to apply again?)
Penn (connections)
Dartmouth
Emory

Any that you would remove or recommend adding?

You could add these schools where you could receive an interview with your stats:
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
St. Louis
Creighton
Eastern Virginia

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it's worth re-taking my MCAT or waiting another year to apply? If I waited, I would have substantially more research experience.

Thanks Faha!

Thanks for the reply halamadrid! It'd be a last resort I think, because my score would expire after this next cycle. Tbh, I was pretty bummed with my score, because my AAMC Scored was a 520 :(.. I really screwed my CARs section by not finishing last passage.

I feel ya, I scored a 521 on AAMC practice and 517 on actual due to 126 CARS, but a 515 is still an excellent score for you to be competitive. Retaking would cause adcoms to question your judgement. As long as you didn't score a 123 or lower you should be alright