Wailist Panic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jayesh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question I am waitisted eight schools : Albert Einstein, Rochester, MCV, EVMS, Chicago Med, Vermont, GW, NYMC, and MCO
But it is past the May 15 and none of these schools have moved. I was wondering what hope we had at this point in the process; is it time to look for a job.

Members don't see this ad.

Jayesh, The only thing to do is get your FAFSA and sit tight.Congrats on making so many cuts! If you are wait listed at that many schools I would bet that one of them will take you. Also, Your # 's may be great, but How do you interview? Remeber #'s do not entitle you to a slot in medical school. I had a good friend of mine who had a 32 and a 3.6 and he got wait listed at 2 school, but he interviewed terrible and he ended up in IT (NWU and UIC). I would have a back up in place. Hey at least you are single and you can leave at the drop of a hat. I am holding one acceptance and waiting on GW. I have 2 kids and a wife. I have to woory about day care and my wife finding a job. June is the month where you see the most movement. Each school has there own game for the waitlist. Find out as much as you can and show interest. Good Luck!!!!

Also, depending on the school upto 50% get off the wait list. Thus, I would bet one of the schools will take you. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I pulled out of EVMS...so there's one more spot for you! Good Luck!

Rochester's wait-list has been moving - there are 3 of us here that got off :D Sit tight! I've heard that they accept only a few during the interview season and then fill a lot of their class from the waitlist. With 8 waitlists your chances are good of getting in somewhere!

matopet1;

I'm waitlisted at a couple of schools and was under the assumption that once you were accepted then they sent you the FASFA info. This isn't the case? I'd like to fill it out and submit it ASAP if it isn't... thanks!

Phatgroves, I was accepted to 4 schools and I am holding one and waiting for GW. Yes, even if you are wait listed submit your Fafsa and send your transcripts. That way if you get off the list the Finacial aid office can line up your cash. Otherwise if you wait until August and you did not submit it. You would be with $$$$ for few weeks if you come off the list.Also, If need $$ you can submit a NAVY HPSP without an acceprance I believe. For the Army, Public health(deadline was March 31), and Air force you need acceptances. Good Luck!!!
Sorry about the Sabres! Hopoefully next year they will get the cup.

I have no acceptances, four wait lists: 2 SUNYs, Temple, Tufts and I still have to hear from NYMC. Seriously, apply for jobs soon. It's not something you'd like to hear but at least you'll make some cash in the summer :).

Also about Fafsa, do you just put in all of the schools you're waitlisted at?

Guardian, that is correct!! Put your fafsa in for all the schools. Good Luck!!!

jayesh,

I'll bet money that you get into one of those schools. Wanna bet?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

matopet1,

Thanks for the info. I just hope filling it out now won't in some weird way jinx my chances. Re: the Sabres....don't worry. When you live in Buffalo long enough (born and raised here) you kinda expect it!

Jayesh...I was also waitlisted at GWU and I got in this morning! I guess they are taking people off the waitlist now! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
for all of you waitlisted people, make sure that you stay in touch with the school and let them know how much you want to go there. This can include writing a letter, sending new transcripts, letting them know over the phone that they were your favorite school, or meeting with the head of admissions. I never did any of these things when I was on waitlists because I had already gotten into somewhere and I didn't want a difficult decision, but my friend, who had slightly lower scores did this and was waitlisted at the same school that I was (Wash U) and he got it. He said that the admissions people put some sort of mark on his application that indicated that Wash U was his no. 1 choice. Of course, he told more then one school that they were his "no. 1 choice", so it's up to you how ethincal you are about designating your no. 1 choice.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in and thanx for the advice. I called some of the schools and wrote them letters at two of the schools I am at the top of the top third so basically I have to be patient.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in and thanx for the advice. I called some of the schools and wrote them letters at two of the schools I am at the top of the top third so basically I have to be patient.

Jayesh,
How did you find out you were in the top third of their list?

MCO and EVMS ranks their waitlist so those vermont; however the other schools do not tell you where you are.

Jayesh,
Hey, I was just wondering if you were on the top 1/3 at MCO? And if you have any info about their waitlist (how far they go through, when you might hear back from them...)? Thanks, and GOOD LUCK!!

I am in the top 1/3 high priority list for out of state students. The letter said that if normal tunover is the case then I should get admission -- when I do not know but she said to call back in June. She said that they typically get through the top 1/3 out of state waitlist but it depends year-to-year.

Does anyone know if any of the following schools are willing to tell you about your ranking on the waitlist: Penn State, Tufts, or MCP-Hahnemann? Also, NYMC reportedly has an unranked list but i've also heard that there are 2 waitlists; if this is the case how do I tell which one I am on? thanks for any advice in advance!

The best way to find out what a school is willing to tell you about their list is to call the admissions office and ask. I'm on Cincinnati's alternate list, and apparently they did not rank their list this year. They are using some other method of choosing who to offer acceptances to, and are not allowed to divulge how this is done. Anyone know anything about how schools choose people when they don't rank the list? I picture them pulling names out of a hat...

kaite, how did you find out nymc has 2 lists in the first place? i don't think anybody here has direct knowledge of any waitlist procedures or rankings, rather just guesses based on friends, own experiences, etc. it's all random in my eyes!

I don't think anyone has direct knowledge on anything about the process....

Random? maybe, but from what I heard, there's a method to the madness....

Anyway, good luck to those of you still waiting and I hope for those of you deserving that you get accepted to your respective medical school.

:cool:

Corleone and others:

Many premedical advisors have an authoritative book which has information, such as on wait-lists, for every medical school in the US and Canada. The book is available ONLY to premedical advisors. It is not in libraries nor for sale to the public.

If you worked through or with the assistance and advice of your premedical advisor, you might ask your questions in the advisor's office.

If you worked through your premedical advisor, kept in touch through the process, your advisor might even be willing to call the admissions offices of some of your wait-listed schools to find out your status and likelihood of acceptance. Not all advisors do this, but if you are courteous in asking, not demanding, you might get the information you seek.

At least regionally, and sometimes nationally, advisors and admission folks attend professional meetings together and get to know each other on a personal level.

At large universities with large numbers of applicants, it may be more difficult to have access to THE premed advisor, but at smaller institutions access is usually fairly easy.

Whether you LIKE the advisor or not is beside the point; at least try to ask for help in this and other matters. It is your career on the line, not the advisor's.

I have also been told that admissions offices will say "not ranked" etc when they actually have their own ranking system but choose not to divulge that information. So, although one would like to think they are being fair by saying "not ranked" they, in fact, are probably saying this to avoid the phone calls from wait list candidates about where they are on the list, etc. Oh well, I guess it is sit tight and wait!

gower, i never knew the the pre-med advisors had anything like that! as for my "random" statement, it was tongue in cheek. of course there's some process, but to my limited knowledge and from posts on SDN, it looks as if there's no set waitlist protocol and each school goes about it some mysterious way.