Wait a few more days to withdraw?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kalydeco

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Wanted to get your opinions on something.

I am 100% certain which medical school I want to attend, but the only issue that keeps me from withdrawing my other acceptances is the possibility that my other schools offer me merit money at the last minute. The school where I will matriculate is known to match offers from other schools, so I don't want to withdraw prematurely from a school that theoretically could give me money.

I obviously want to be considerate of other applicants and withdraw before 11:59pm on May 14th if possible. So my question is: do you think schools are likely to dispense any more merit scholarships prior to the 15th? Or do you think they are waiting to "redistribute" merit money after the 15th, reserving it for students who have already committed to their school? Is it worth waiting the extra few days, or can I feel comfortable withdrawing today?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would wait it out. I know it sucks that some people don't have acceptances, but if they will be accepted off the waitlist, a couple days won't matter. If it were much earlier in the season it would be different for them

Let me see if I understand this.
  1. You've been accepted at School A
  2. You want to attend School A
  3. You've been accepted at School B
  4. You do not want to attend School B
  5. You want to see if School B will throw money at you so you can use School B's offer to leverage money out of School A?
  6. You won't go to School B, even if they do throw money at you?
If that's an accurate picture of the situation, I'd call that a 'jerky' thing to do, though perfectly within your rights.

"Can you feel comfortable withdrawing today?"

Honestly, that's the only way I could feel comfortable.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
  5. You want to see if School B will throw money at you so you can use School B's offer to leverage money out of School A?
If that's an accurate picture of the situation, I'd call that a 'jerky' thing to do, though perfectly within your rights.

+1

There's only like four days left before you have to make a final decision. People waiting on waitlists have already waited this entire cycle. They can wait another four days. Besides, waitlists movement isn't expected to be heavy until after May 15th anyway, so I don't think you're being a jerk.

Reactions: 3 users
There's only like four days left before you have to make a final decision. People waiting on waitlists have already waited this entire cycle. They can wait another four days. Besides, waitlists movement isn't expected to be heavy until after May 15th anyway, so I don't think you're being a jerk.
I guess you haven't been on a waiting list, have you?
OP, you might want to stop being so passive and call school A to see if they'll throw any money at you. Then make a decision and act on it.

I guess you haven't been on a waiting list, have you?
OP, you might want to stop being so passive and call school A to see if they'll throw any money at you. Then make a decision and act on it.
I'm on a waistlist at two schools actually. I just wholly expect there not to be movement until after May 15th. But I do agree with you on being active and just contacting the school and tell them exactly what you want.

If you have already received your package from the other schools then it is unlikely they will change your package unless you have actively reached out to ask for more. That being said, I also agree that you shouldn't feel pressured to withdraw for the sake of other people on the waitlist if you are waiting to here back about financial aid.

Reactions: 1 users

Hate the game, not the player. The real problem is the tuition of our higher education and how these fin aid awards are doled out.
Unfortunately, doing this is practical when schools aren't transparent about these processes. The jerk might be school A for encouraging applicants to present awards to be matched rather than just giving all students the fin aid they feel they're worthy of in the first place. Ultimately, OP won't be taking anything from school B and waiting 4 more days on a waitlist won't matter to any accepted applicant a year from now. Having extra debt is a pain that will not be so transient.

Hate the game, not the player. The real problem is the tuition of our higher education and how these fin aid awards are doled out.
I hadn't thought of it that way. This makes me think of how it is in retail stores: some items are less expensive with the idea that volume can make up the difference in profits, some places wait until "sale days", while other places will only lower their prices if the customer is savvy enough to complain. Then the manager, feigning reluctance, will give them the lesser price (while still making a profit, of course) if they agree to an immediate sale.

Last edited:
i would think if they were going to offer you any money they would've done it by now, maybe not though. it's your acceptance and you hold on to it as long as you want. i'm actually wait listed at one school and by no means would i be mad if everyone wanted to wait out until may 15th because they got it first and they need to make a smart decision also.

Reactions: 1 user
You should be proactive and ask the schools directly if there is more aid available.

Reactions: 1 user