Wait a year to go to UoP or attend tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merkman320

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you were guaranteed admissions at UoP for next cycle and accpted to tufts this cycle..what school would you attend? you would graduate at the same time...I am a native San Franciscan so the choice for me is hard. Any advice/suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

if you were guaranteed admissions at UoP for next cycle and accpted to tufts this cycle..what school would you attend? you would graduate at the same time...I am a native San Franciscan so the choice for me is hard. Any advice/suggestions?

If its guaranteed, i would totally go for UOP. price tag is around the same, and you still graduate in 3 years. not to mention, you get a year off to party or make some money or whatever.

How can you be sure that you are guaranteed that spot at UoP for next year? You might want to get that in writing because a lot can change in a year. That being said, if you have things you want to do, hold off and attend UoP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like the poster above me said, If would get the guarantee in writing. If you were able to do that I would definitely go to UOP.

I would start Tufts this year. Schools can change their minds at any time without consequence, leaving you 18 months older, and facing a need to reapply. Of course, this thread looks like a hypothetical situation posed by the OP.

not sure if they give it in writing but it is pretty well understood that if you are on the alternate/waitlist and don't get in, when you apply next year you are given the very first interview dates. Early interviews at PACIFIC = accepted. There are multiple people in my class and the class below me that waited the year and they are here now. Thing is your stats aren't gonna change so if they gave you an interview they were good enough, you just were a little late. You'll be in next year if you stick it out.

nick

if guaranteed admission to UoP next year, then go to UoP. Man, I'd kill for a chance to have a year off stress-free! Go travel the world. How many of us will be able to do that? Very few my friend...

if guaranteed admission to UoP next year, then go to UoP. Man, I'd kill for a chance to have a year off stress-free! Go travel the world. How many of us will be able to do that? Very few my friend...

how many of us have $$ to do that? very few my friend...

jb!:)

ps--to answer the OPs question....i think it really comes down to where you will be happier. if you love SF and UoP then wait. i personally love boston and would much rather spend 4 years in d-school than 3...so i would choose tufts.....but that's me.

i agree with mr. bauer... unless you are totally into pacific/san fran (or you need a year off for something), just go to tufts. it's an awesome school, boston is fun, and (in my opinion) taking 4 years for d-school is better than cramming it into 3 years

how many of us have $$ to do that? very few my friend...

At least I'm not the only one who is majorly broke! So many of my friends went to Europe after graduation and tell me I should go on a huge trip before school starts, I'm like WTF? I just spent all my money (and some borrowed from my parents!) to pay a crapload of application fees, testing fees, deposit, etc. How do all these people come up with money for a Europe trip ?

At least I'm not the only one who is majorly broke! So many of my friends went to Europe after graduation and tell me I should go on a huge trip before school starts, I'm like WTF? I just spent all my money (and some borrowed from my parents!) to pay a crapload of application fees, testing fees, deposit, etc. How do all these people come up with money for a Europe trip ?

Lol...well, what I had in mind was the idea of teaching English in a foreign country for several months before moving on to another country. I guess I should have clarified my statement. Of course we are all broke now...

I know this sounds heretical since I am a Pacific man now, but I would take the slot to Tufts. Time off is great, but not THAT much time off.

definitely uop. enjoy yourself next year and then go to the UOP. Trust me.

doing nothing gets old really really quick...... i took the year off (might turn into 2 :rolleyes: ) to work between undergrad & dschool. it was nice for about the first month & then you realize how bad you'd like to get back in the class n learn some stuff. sounds dorky, but whatever. i have to admit though, i have a new perspective on education after working as a teacher....returning to the other side of the podium will be refreshing.

doing nothing gets old really really quick...... i took the year off (might turn into 2 :rolleyes: ) to work between undergrad & dschool. it was nice for about the first month & then you realize how bad you'd like to get back in the class n learn some stuff. sounds dorky, but whatever. i have to admit though, i have a new perspective on education after working as a teacher....getting back to school will be refreshing.

Amen. I dont work(sort of for my dad,but not really) and am not in school and its driving me NUTTY. My one year off may turn into two as well, and I cannot tell you how much I'd rather be studying than traveling around like I have been for the last few months. It's fun, but its boring at the same time.

If you wait a year just to attend Pacific, and put off your acceptance to Tufts, you will still graduate in 2011. So it's up to you if you want to start dental school this year and graduate in 2011, or start your dental school career at Pacific next year in 2008 and graduate in 2011.

If you're from the Bay Area, and want to stay in Nor Cal, then by all means put your effort into Pacific.
I know a lot of Californians don't want to leave home, and would rather stay near home rather than suffer the brutal winters of Boston. Trust me, I have been to Boston during the winter and it's brutally cold! Then you will also have to factor in travelling between California & Boston, cost of moving your belongings, etc.

Good luck with your decision.

I know a lot of Californians don't want to leave home, and would rather stay near home rather than suffer the brutal winters of Boston. Trust me, I have been to Boston during the winter and it's brutally cold!
Good luck with your decision.

wusses :laugh: