Wait and take classes that would be helpful in dental school or apply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studyrundance

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the long run would it be more beneficial for me to take classes such as gross anatomy, medical microbiology, and pathology and wait to apply? Or to take DAT this summer and apply to dental school? I was also thinking by waiting a year that leaves me time to gain more experience by becoming a dental assistant, which I think would be helpful as well in dental school.

So with regards to dental school is the sooner you start the better? Or would it be better to have more classroom, and hands on dental exposure before starting?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hands on experience as a dental assistant?! You don't need that, you will learn how to take alginate impressions in dental school. Take the DAT asap and apply.

Reactions: 1 users
In the long run would it be more beneficial for me to take classes such as gross anatomy, medical microbiology, and pathology and wait to apply? Or to take DAT this summer and apply to dental school? I was also thinking by waiting a year that leaves me time to gain more experience by becoming a dental assistant, which I think would be helpful as well in dental school.

So with regards to dental school is the sooner you start the better? Or would it be better to have more classroom, and hands on dental exposure before starting?
apply.

Members don't see this ad :)

Apply as early as you can. Not only is it becoming more competitive every year but dental school is getting astronomically more expensive each year. For example, it is guaranteed that my school will raise tuition every year.

Yes, those classes are useful. It would be nice to have those under your belt before you begin. I took them and they were beneficial. Make sure you do well and learn as much as you can. You wouldn't want to do poorly in those classes and get a poor undergraduate GPA and possibly compromise your chances at dental school or even a 6-year OMFS program if you're at all interested.

Take the DAT whenever it is that most people take them nowadays (Summer of third year?).

Don't waste a year as a dental assistant. Not only are you losing 1 year of potential income over a career as a dentist but it is a waste of time. Whatever you learn as a dental assistant will translate very little in dental school. In fact, the clinical practice is not what most people struggle with in dental school. Most people repeat years because of poor academic performance and not deficient hand skills. Doing good dentistry just takes practice.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe it depends what your stats are right now. If you believe you are competitive right now then I would turn in your application ASAP (like in June for sure)- but make sure you have a good application, strong letters, and are confident in your GPA and take the DAT soon. If you don't feel that you are competitive enough, then maybe these classes might help, as long as you are confident you will be passing them with A's. I am currently a dental assistant and absolutely love it, and it is definitely teaching me a lot; but I am also doing it for all 4 years of undergrad, I don't think it's worth it and I wouldn't have gone to school for it if I were to just have done it for a year. You will be learning everything your first year of dental school anyway!
I would definitely apply ASAP, just do it if you feel good about applying right now!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile