Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Wait for August MCAT results or Send Secondary Now?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by timmah2k, Jul 25, 2006.

  1. timmah2k

    timmah2k Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2005
    Messages:
    161
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey I was wondering if I could get some advice.

    Undergraduate GPA: 2.51
    Postbac GPA (~40 credits) :3.81
    Science GPA: 3.21 (thanks to retakes)
    Overall GPA: 3.07 (thanks to retakes)
    MCAT: 21 (taking again in August)

    I've recieved secondaries from several schools, but I'm not sure if I should send them out because of my low MCAT. Will schools reject me after I send my secondary even if I'm taking the MCAT again in August? I feel like if I wait then I'll be behind, but if I send them now they might just take my money and reject me. What do you guys think is the better way to go?

    Thank you.
     
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. DrCurious

    DrCurious Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2005
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have the same type of problem:

    GPA 3.54
    Science GPA 3.6
    MCAT 10PS/6VR/9BS
    Retakign in august

    Should I hold on secondaries as well, or will thet 25 (although the 6 hurts) be ok?

    On another note, is it possible to recieve interviews before the august scores come in (or even acceptances?)
     
  4. dr.z

    Physician

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2004
    Messages:
    4,095
    Likes Received:
    4
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Send the secondaries now.
     
  5. yzf600

    yzf600 Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2005
    Messages:
    107
    Likes Received:
    0
    i think they're more worried about being rejected pre-mcat score than being a little late on the secondaries.

    Isn't there a way to make sure schools don't review you until they get the scores?
     
  6. n0chi

    n0chi Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2005
    Messages:
    295
    Likes Received:
    0
    yes i have an even worse problem. i am retaking classes next sem, and the grades for that only come out in jan. but that will improve my gpa a lot, and actually make it so that i might have a chance this app cycle.

    im also about to take the mcat this aug. so once thats done, and i get the scores in late oct, im not sure if i should hold secondaries till jan, when my gpa will be way better. or if i should send secondaries as soon as i recieve them...?
     
  7. Soccer885

    Soccer885 Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2006
    Messages:
    531
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Medical Student
    I would call the individual schools you have recieved secondaries for and ask what there policy is on sending in the secondaries and possibly getting an interview but still planning on retaking the MCAT in August. The schools might tell you that they will just hold on to your stuff until your new score comes out. Or they could interview you and waitlist you depending on your MCAT score. You also never know, you could get in with your numbers! But call and ask, that's my advice.
     
  8. Soccer885

    Soccer885 Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2006
    Messages:
    531
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Medical Student
    You should send in the secondaries. Seems like you may have had a bubbling error or something for that VR because you got an S in the writing section. If you are really worried about it, call the schools and ask.
     
  9. timmah2k

    timmah2k Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2005
    Messages:
    161
    Likes Received:
    0
    I called CCOM and they told me it would be safer to hold onto my secondary until my second MCAT score come out because they can make a negative decision. =[ All this time applying early and I have to wait again.
     
  10. HunterGatherer

    HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2005
    Messages:
    2,584
    Likes Received:
    15
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    You can still get multiple interviews and acceptances before the end of the year if you do well on the August MCAT. The August 2006 MCAT takers who were complete before scores were released and scored well seemed to have an easier application cycle.
     
  11. wsucougar

    wsucougar New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2006
    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Medical Student

    I had the same problem. I talked to the ten DO schools that I applied to and they all told me it is better to have all of my applications including the secondary's turned in as soon as possible. The people that I talked to in the admissions office told me that they can see in your innitial app that you are planning to take the MCAT in August so they wait until they get those scores before they make the final decision on whether to deny you. They seemed to all emphasize that earlier is better, even if the April MCAT score is crappy
     
  12. UVAdoc

    UVAdoc Junior Member

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2006
    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    0
  13. timmah2k

    timmah2k Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2005
    Messages:
    161
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you HunterGatherer and Wsucougar. I think I will submit my secondaries tomorrow. No sense in waiting until the end of October, when MCAT scores come out, to send my secondaries. I'll take the chance in adcoms holding my application until my scores get to them.
     
  14. n0chi

    n0chi Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2005
    Messages:
    295
    Likes Received:
    0
    im still not sure whats the best option for me. however, waiting till jan to send secondaries seems a bit too late. but sending them in oct might result is straight up rejections due to a crappy gpa... hmm...
     
  15. DrCurious

    DrCurious Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2005
    Messages:
    997
    Likes Received:
    0
    So is it possible to get an interview before august results are in? (in my case a 25P but a crappy 6 in verbal)
     
  16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

  17. scpod

    Physician Moderator Emeritus

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2005
    Messages:
    3,241
    Likes Received:
    118
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    It's not late if you have good scores. I didn't apply to LECOM-B until January. I interviewed the first week of February and was accepted a few days later. However, my stats are a good bit higher than the average. If your stats are low, then you need to send everything in ASAP!!!! 412,367,402 people have asked the same question on SDN. So far, there has never been a legitimate reason to wait! Get your stuff in and try to get an interview now. If you don't get in, you just might get waitlisted. Then, you have months to improve your file. I really am surprised by a number of people who interviewed early last year, sat on the waitlist for months, and didn't do a thing to help themselves after that. Others, sent in an LOI, sent in new LORs, updated their grades (twice), and even retook the MCAT in April. Remember, the 2006 cycle isn't even over yet. There are people who will find out next week that they are going to med school in August. So...you have pretty much a full year to play with beginning tonight. Don't wait around!!!
     
  18. OSUdoc08

    OSUdoc08 Banned
    Banned

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    Messages:
    7,698
    Likes Received:
    6
    Status:
    Medical Student
    yes
     

Share This Page